Fly Fusion Forums

Bulls On Parade

Maximum

Wow, looks like it's dead!

According to this article, it soon will be dead:

"... even without the aid of pictures, fishermen can tell if their catch is stressed or not, and the chance of the fish surviving or not. The long and short of it was that if the fish’s eyes are looking down, or at the water while being held upright, it was less stressed than a fish that has “Dead Eyes” that are staring blankly straight ahead. He also explained that if the fish has the blank stare, his findings showed that the fish had less than a 10% chance of survival, even if quickly released. He explained that it is very important to look at the fish’s eyes once it is landed because taking extra time with the release, can improve a fish showing stress’ chance of survival by as much as 58%"

Reading this article was a bit of a wake up call for me, and I'll definitely be looking at the trout's eyes when I net them from now on. One would think, though, that if so many released fish aren't surviving one would see more fish floating belly-up in lakes.

Guest Jeremie

the camera kinda looks out of wack but its definitly stressed and if he were to have taking his time releasing it it would be more likely to survive i had that with a brown in stauffer once it was 15" and it had big blank eyes and i gave him some time and slowly put water through his gills and his eyes started to go back to normal and he splashed me and ripped off

He had that look on his face because I was firing up the Hibachi grill right next to him! :) j/k of course!

FYI, I hooked and landed this guy in <2min, I always keep my camera hanging from my neck so I'm not wasting time looking for it. Landed him, unhooked, layed him ontop of my net in the water, snapped it and released. From when I netted to release, <1min.

It does look like the eyes are pointed slightly down... the fish is more on his back.

The net in deeper water would help, but I've seen Much worse.

It's funny how some fish just don't do well... skinny fish like that need to eat more.

Not as thin as the 25" brown I got one night this month. :lol: the thing was all of a pound and a half.... MAYBE. This fish looks FAT compared to it :lol:

Lots of the bulls this time of year from there are a bit on the thin side. Wait till June when they've feasted on suckers for a few months :lol:

"... even without the aid of pictures, fishermen can tell if their catch is stressed or not, and the chance of the fish surviving or not. The long and short of it was that if the fish’s eyes are looking down, or at the water while being held upright, it was less stressed than a fish that has “Dead Eyes” that are staring blankly straight ahead."

Just one example, but eyes straight and we know it survived. Same Fish Thread

FYI to any skeptics out there, this same fish was caught again recently by another member. He is alive and well. The reason for his cock-eye is apparently hook damage, which I didn't notice. The left eye is working just fine but the right eye is frozen in that position. Mystery solved, thanks FFC CSI! :P