Fly Fusion Forums

Bow River Conditions

I would hit the river and toss a #4 BAW and/or #6 Golden Stone, with a #16 Caddis Emerger/Pupa dropper. Nymphs would include #16 Copper John and Pheasant Tail. This should cover the bugs that will likely be on the move today, Worms, Stones, PMD's, Caddis.

Dead drift the slow water near the seam, along the banks/runs/riffles.

Have fun.

Hills are brown again and the river is clearing up - the combo of alternating rain and hot days has melted most of the pack out - so I would expect things to get better downstream soon if not already. Missus and I thinking of our first weekend up in Nordegg this weekend (I went and checked the Sask this morning - its still pretty fuzzy) not sure if it'll be decent or not

Not sure, but it doesn't really matter anyway, as 6" or more is fine. Just get the rig stalling every drift with lots of weight with the aforementioned offerings and you will likely find trout on your line.

The river has been fishing very well, even for us beginners. Clarity is getting better, but slowly. Water levels are still very high. I did catch one the other day in the run itself, but the vast majority in the slow water inside the seam. I will say that that they tend to hit more agressively when the water is dirty, though that could be a function of time of year? Anyway, the fish I have caught the last few days have been just slamming the nymphs. Maybe because they can't see it until the last second and have to react more quickly? I'm sure someone here has the answer.