Fly Fusion Forums

Trip Planning

OK< so with the $ as it is we are contemplating a trip to Idaho/Montana in June, instead of our usual east Koots trip.

I'm all ears to suggestions for camping (truck and camper), fishing (lake and or river), some easy hiking.

How about a stop on the Columbia en route???

Is this a bad time of year for rivers . . we go in early June cause winter is over and my guiding season 'officially' starts June 16 with the opening of est slope streams, usual clearing at end of run-off, and arrival of 'merican clients etc.............

Rusty is right, Fishing the Misourri around Craig is great, and Craig is a great place to stay, stop at The Trout Shop. When your heading south try the Beaverhead, , the Big Hole & the Madison & stay in Dillon and stop at Back Country Angler's, Tom & Mary are great people and will help you out. Buddy & I did 6 rivers in 7 days down there a couple of years ago & had a blast.

We fished Yellowstone National Park as well as the Madison just outside the park around the beginning of June in 2006. They had their biggest floods in 8 years but it was still fishable. There are all kinds of options...plus nobody is there yet. About 11 hours from Calgary.

BHW

OK< so with the $ as it is we are contemplating a trip to Idaho/Montana in June, instead of our usual east Koots trip.

I'm all ears to suggestions for camping (truck and camper), fishing (lake and or river), some easy hiking.

How about a stop on the Columbia en route???

Is this a bad time of year for rivers . . we go in early June cause winter is over and my guiding season 'officially' starts June 16 with the opening of est slope streams, usual clearing at end of run-off, and arrival of 'merican clients etc.............

My favorite river in Montana is by far the bighole. The Missouri always seems to crowded for my liking. If you are going through in June the bighole is a great bet - its not dammed and its a great time of year to fish it. Loads of Caddis at that time - I caught the Mothers Day Caddis hatch there one year in first week of June (I guess cause it was late!) - 30 plus fish days dry-flying from the boat. Its usually got fabulous streamer fishing and if you are really lucky you might catch the famous salmonfly hatch that occurs every June. The water is very tea-colored so it throws a lot of people off the river in late May/June but the visibilty is still pretty good. Once you fish the Bighole you figure out that Brown trout really aren't that smart.

The last time we were through we booked a couple of floats with Mark Lane at Great Waters Inn and he let us park the trailer between the cabins/lodge, water hook-up and even let us use a room for showers whenever we wanted. Lodge is situated right on the Banks of the Bighole and just south of Melrose, MT.

The Beaverhead is also very close and can be a great piece of water to fish, but I find at that time of year the Bighole is the best bet.

Good Luck.

Hey Don.

My wife and I have gone down to Montana a few times and she really likes the Seeley Lake area off of Hwy 83. It's east and north of Missula. There are a few lakes right around the area and some nice campsites all along the highway and on the lakes. It's sort of a little resort town. But nothing like Banff. It's just a small area with terrain like the Okanagan area.

As for fishing in the area. There are plenty of lakes in the area. As for rivers and creeks there is the Blackfoot or Rock Creek. Rock Creek has good access and there are lots of trout in the lower system, so there's no need to drive too far up the valley. Access is not quite as good on the Blackfoot, but there's still miles of water to explore. Anywhere that looks good will probably hold fish. Even the Clearwater River close to Seely Lake has fair fishing. I fished the Clearwater River. It has good acces to it south of Seeley Lake on Hwy 200. Just west of the Hwy 83 and Hwy 200 intersection. You follow it along and then head south at the Sunset Hill Road. Or you can go east and then head south on the Sperry Grade Road. Both areas offer good access to the river. The one at Sunset Hill Road even has a nice parking area for the fishermen.

If your going down to Columbia Falls area make sure and stop in at Arends Fly Shop Here is a link to their website.. It's just on the side of the highway. Bob Arends is a great guy with lots of knowledge of the area.

Have a great trip.

Cheers,

Rob