Fly Fusion Forums

Police Outpost Lake Trip May 10 & 11 - What To Use?

ÜberFly

Gang,

What gear do y'all reco for Police Outpost Lake... I haven't fly fished still waters but I'm thinking 14' leaders, sinking lines (inter or fast), chonies, scuds, other emergers, leeches, shrimp patterns?! I've heard that for summer still waters damsel fly nymph patterns are good... What else?!

Any/all advise is appreciated

Thanks in advance...

Cheers,

Peter

Guest bigbadbrent

No need for 14 foot leaders if your using the sinking lines. I can tell you that when we were at BH there, we were using 2-3 foot leaders under an indicator and hitting a ton right next to the shore.

You'll be fine fishing leechs and cronies that early in the season..

stock up on wooly buggers in black/brown/olive, and chronies in multitude of colors, and some marabou leechs, and you'll be set.

Hardly even need sinking lines that early in the season, specially with the winter we're having, they'll still be close to the shore and not too deep yet

Chronies and leeches under indicator. Straight tippet to fly line with indicator on it...swivel...fluorocarbon...leech...chronie tied to the 10'' tag end from the leech.

Come to the conclave in Lethbridge in a week and get more details.

I will be there and will be bringing two rods on the boat.

One with a floating line and a 14' leader, for fishing under indies or hopefully without them - you can always move an indy down if you have to. One rigged up for a slime line (clear int sink) or a type III fullsink with a 12" long leader.

Flieswise:

Chronies in different colors from 12-16

Leeches from 8-16 in black, brown, olive, claret, plus a few #2 or #4 for trolling the shallows at night

Weevils or pheasant tails, size 14-18

Bloodworms, size 14-18

Scuds, 12-16 in olive, tan, and maybe a few orange for the preggies

With any luck we'll hit the heart of the chronie hatches, but you never know what you're going to run into. Odds are that it'll be chronies under indicators, but sometimes you gotta switch it up to find the big boys.

Haven't fished there in over 10 years. I'm pumped - Police is an unreal lake with massive potential.

gotta find somewhere to crash for this, long drive for a day trip

I thought you planned for you and your new girlie friend to sleep in the civic?! :lol: :lol:

I'm going to be asking my gf's bro-in-law if we can borrow their camper!! :P :P

Party at our site!!

P

I will be there and will be bringing two rods on the boat.

One with a floating line and a 14' leader, for fishing under indies or hopefully without them - you can always move an indy down if you have to. One rigged up for a slime line (clear int sink) or a type III fullsink with a 12" long leader.

Flieswise:

Chronies in different colors from 12-16

Leeches from 8-16 in black, brown, olive, claret, plus a few #2 or #4 for trolling the shallows at night

Weevils or pheasant tails, size 14-18

Bloodworms, size 14-18

Scuds, 12-16 in olive, tan, and maybe a few orange for the preggies

With any luck we'll hit the heart of the chronie hatches, but you never know what you're going to run into. Odds are that it'll be chronies under indicators, but sometimes you gotta switch it up to find the big boys.

Haven't fished there in over 10 years. I'm pumped - Police is an unreal lake with massive potential.

Rod wise, that's what I was planning... What wt?! I have a 5 wt with floating and my 6 wt streamer rod with a spool of inter clear cortland and another spool of SA streamer express...

P

Guest bigbadbrent
I thought you planned for you and your new girlie friend to sleep in the civic?! :lol: :lol:

I'm going to be asking my gf's bro-in-law if we can borrow their camper!! :P :P

Party at our site!!

P

i'll prob come crash in the civic, doubt the girl would be down for that

if i get you drunk enough, i figure i could probably sleep on ur camper floor

Rod wise, that's what I was planning... What wt?! I have a 5 wt with floating and my 6 wt streamer rod with a spool of inter clear cortland and another spool of SA streamer express...

P

A 5 and 6 would be fine. I'll be bringing a #3 as well in case the wind dies off a bit here and there (which, to call a spade a spade, is unlikely at best). The SA express is probably not going to be much help unless you can rip flies back to the boat. It just gets down waaay to quick. Police isn't a very deep lake.

post-179-1208698394.jpg