Fly Fusion Forums

Waterproof, Breathable, Packable

headscan

I'm looking for a waterproof, breathable rain jacket for spring and summer that's light enough to be packed easily into something like a backpack or fanny pack for those unexpected downpours. So far I've been considering the Simms In-Vest Jacket, the Helly Hansen Packable Jacket, and the William Joseph Ultra Lite Jacket. Anyone have any other suggestions or experience with any of these? I'm not looking for heavy duty since I already have a Simms G3 Guide Jacket for monsoons, hurricanes, and typhoons.

Hell go for the Patagonia Deep Wading Jacket BBB (Brent) is selling on the Trading Post thread (if its your size).... Heck of a jacket with the best guarantee in the world!! I'd ask him to lower the price though ;-) If not, try to find one at Elements they might have a few left and a great price as well (or online), I even think Brent's store (Bow River Troutfitters) has them on sale! All the reviews are stellar with it and it's cousin the SST jacket. I have the SST and it ROCKS!!

P

Guest bigbadbrent

lol ya, he won't fit in my medium :P

what can i say, i'm a midget

Simms Freestone might do er for ya, but i think you're on the mark with the In-Vest Jacket

lol ya, he won't fit in my medium :P

what can i say, i'm a midget

Simms Freestone might do er for ya, but i think you're on the mark with the In-Vest Jacket

Hey I tried!! :)

Was trying to get spiffed ;)

P

Yeah, I don't think I'd fit into Brent's medium either...

I think the SST and Freestone are overkill for what I want. I'm thinking along the lines of something that I can have in my pack and throw on quickly if one of those surprise Alberta rain clouds sneak up on me, not something I'd be wearing all day - in that case I'd wear the G3. I'd likely already have my lanyard on and fly boxes in shirt pockets so I don't necessarily need something with big bellows pockets and such. I'll have to take an in-person look at the Simms In-Vest (can I still use it if I don't own a vest? :P )

I own two Deep Wading Jackets and would never wear anything else. I owned a Bare Kodiak or Chinook or whatever (the big green one) and got rid of it because it was too heavy. I bought a medium about 6 years ago and got an unrefusable deal on a large last year.

The DWJ is super light, fits easily in the back of my vest, has enough room for a lot of gear on its own, has a net ring on the back, is incredibly waterproof, dries so fast it's ridiculous, and is very reasonably priced. You just can't beat them.

The sale price is alright on the Patagonia DWJ, but will it fit in a small pack if you balled it up? I can't tell for sure from the picture on the Patagonia site, but to me it doesn't look like it...

Details

* Lightweight, durable and highly puncture-resistant fabric; Visibility/Houdini® drawcord hood and waist

* External chest pockets placed high to protect fly boxes while wading deep; built in side-entry handwarmer pockets

* Storm-guttered, double-slider front zipper and dual snaps at the hem for vest access

* Gusseted reverse StretchCoat® cuffs with skin-side-out accommodates layers yet provides a tight wrist seal for casting in rain and releasing fish

* Two D-rings at front for floatants and accessories; D-ring on back for attaching net

* Lightweight and packable to easily fit in back of vest or corner of luggage

* All seams are sealed; relaxed fit to accommodate wearing over fully loaded vest

* 3.5-oz, 2.5-layer, 70-denier nylon microfiber with H2No® waterproof/breathable barrier and Deluge® DWR (durable water repellent) finish. Cuffs: reverse StretchCoat

* 425 g (15 oz)

The sale price is alright on the Patagonia DWJ, but will it fit in a small pack if you balled it up? I can't tell for sure from the picture on the Patagonia site, but to me it doesn't look like it...

I can roll up my SST and it'll fit in the back pocket of my vest with room to spare, so I would guarantee that the DWJ will, as well!

P

i have bin rocking a columbia shell for years and loving it.. have a orvis one that aint too bad either... but looking at teh loop lightweight jacket... waterproff pockets breathable etc...

Damn, i keep forgetting about Loop jackets and stuff. I only think about their rods, reels, and lines because they make me drool. The only thing I'm not sure of is that it says it's "water resistant" and not waterproof. A Columbia shell isn't a bad idea either.

Headscan

I can vouch for the Simms in vest. I bought one 2 years ago at Westwinds. 150 bucks at the time. Great for the purpose you are looking for. Breathable and light!!!

I think the heavier ones are overkill/ I own a midweight Simms Windstopper and wear this underneath. Layering up is still best.

Headscan

I can vouch for the Simms in vest. I bought one 2 years ago at Westwinds. 150 bucks at the time. Great for the purpose you are looking for. Breathable and light!!!

I think the heavier ones are overkill/ I own a midweight Simms Windstopper and wear this underneath. Layering up is still best.