Fly Fusion Forums

Fish Cradles

When I fished with BobLoblaw Tuesday morning, he had a fish cradle. I must say I was a bit skeptical, but they sure seemed easy on the fish. Maybe a bit harder to land, but once they are in, they seem to stop all struggling. Very easy to remove the hook and release. I'm not asking to start a net debate (truly I'm not) but has anyone else tried these? They seem an excellent catch and release device to me. Very little handling of the fish necessary.

cradlens2.jpg

i had the same question last year in regards to bull trout landing/weighing (in the event of a possible record :rolleyes: )...if i could find one around lethbridge, i would give them a go (but only if i was fishing with a partner as it might be hard to land a fish without the use of a 3rd hand)...

I've used them for sturgeon, pike and muskie, and steelhead.

Very nice, probably very easy to make and a small one you could rig to use easily (one handed) from a float tube or such.

I'm sure with some sort of spacer or handle on one end you could rig one up for trout. Without the netting and able to roll up, it would make a nice tool for backcountry/bushwacking fishing.

Cheers,

Got a chance to use it a bit again today. It would be difficult as it is now to do it by yourself. And if the fish is snagged, it's not as easy as a net. But, with a friend it works great and once they are in it, they just totally stop struggling. I really like it and may get one and try to figure out how to use it solo.....