Fly Fusion Forums

New Zealand Trout

fisher26

I've watched a few videos on fly-fishing in New Zealand and it seems as if all the trout they catch are huge (like all over 20 inches). I don't know if this is just the fishermen or something but what makes New Zealand trout so big? I understand that there are lower population numbers and it could be explained by abundant bug life but I've seen videos where the water doesn’t look that fertile. Even if it's caused by unusual numbers of bugs why don't rich American spring creeks like Armstrong have as big of fish?

Guest bigbadbrent

Probably a combination of what you've said....and can you say long growth seasons, and their rivers are very fertile

One reason the fish may be bigger is that they may be sea run varieties. Not feeding solely on bugs, but browns are piscivorous, so abundant minnows would help grow the fish quickly. Also, since they are an invasive / introduced species, they may not have a natural predator base to cull older / larger fish.

One reason the fish may be bigger is that they may be sea run varieties. Not feeding solely on bugs, but browns are piscivorous, so abundant minnows would help grow the fish quickly. Also, since they are an invasive / introduced species, they may not have a natural predator base to cull older / larger fish.

Thanks that helps to explain.

maybe they don't video the small ones.

Exactly what I was going to say.

Most people don't show off the small trout they catch right? Unless it's a brown trout that fits in the palm of your hand...

I've know a couple of Kiwis, great guys. They both said that there really aren't a lot of fish in most of the streams so each fish just gets more to eat. Most of the fish live in the same streams year-round, so sea running isn't commonly part of the equation. No one I've talked to or read have a definite reason for the relatively low densities of trout.

Exactly what I was going to say.

Most people don't show off the small trout they catch right? Unless it's a brown trout that fits in the palm of your hand...

Correct me if I'm wrong, Birchy, but "a brown trout that fits in the palm of YOUR hand" would be about 18",yes?

HYUK-HYUK-HYUK!

Keep it real, Birchman!

__Bob Loblaw__

Correct me if I'm wrong, Birchy, but "a brown trout that fits in the palm of YOUR hand" would be about 18",yes?

HYUK-HYUK-HYUK!

Keep it real, Birchman!

__Bob Loblaw__

BA hahaha!! Yeh pretty much! <_<