Fly Fusion Forums

Time For A New Line

j5ep00

right now im using a cortland 444 classic wf.

im really hard on lines. i seem to like to trample them so im looking for something cheaper then a sharkskin or gpx.

what are some recomendations?

one4adventure picked up a headstart for 35$ and he said he likes it.

anyone else use it? 35$ is really cheap and i wouldnt feel so bad steping all over it.

edit. i was looking at the headstart and it says its more a beginer line?

i am looking for something that i can roll cast fairly nice and maybe screw around with some single hand spey casts.

im not a beginer caster although some days it may look like it haha

Guest bigbadbrent

what weight line..depending on the line weight, troutfitters has a bunch of Ultra 4's (SA's older top of the line...line) for half price (aka, 35 bucks)

cheap lines is were its at.. headstart or aircel is all i ever use..... learning the are of line manipulation is the hard part... stop waisting your money on high doller lines...... kinda like golf to...... gear dont buy a game...... teres a few others ou there that are in teh 20-30 doller range.. i realy like "true northern".... there canadian and make some of orvis's line so its not like they dont no what they are doing...... hansons outfitters darries the stuff

Guest bigbadbrent

Max,

you haven't golfed much, have you

if you can get Ultra 4 for 35 bucks, and headstart for 35 bucks..easy decision, or at least it should be

I think what he's sayin, is that a guy that golfs a 90 aint gonna suddenly shoot in the 70's cuase he goes out and buys ping irons. He's still gonna shoot 90. Gear don't make the man. I probably took more fish on TFO 90 dollar rods and cort 444 and 8lb berkley trilene (no "leader) than any other combination of fancy shmancy I've ever fished with. ;)

Guest bigbadbrent

A guy that golfs a 90, might just shoot an 88..hell, his first time out with the new gear he might shoot a 85 because he's feeling good about having good stuff..

i've done it..

Max,

you haven't golfed much, have you

if you can get Ultra 4 for 35 bucks, and headstart for 35 bucks..easy decision, or at least it should be

golfed all my life ... dads freakin huge into it...... have had theoldschool garbage clubs and the newschool ballin clubs and i still shoot the same... learning how to golf better tho made me a better golfer.... after buying any line i can still dump the whole line.... 20 bucks or 80 bucks...... give it up goofball.... ultra 4 halfprice is a good deal but not necessary if it aint on sale!

i picked up the ultra 4

got out to cast it for a bit over an hour and managed one fish lost 2

the line turns over really nice and i can shoot it pretty good.

i was only really tower casting but i got in a few good double hauls and i was suprised how little effort it took to get it out there.

deffinattly happy.

thanks brent

Brent said something very interesting, and very true. New golf clubs will shave strokes off your game because you think they will. You trust your new gear to do what you paid for. Problem is, first time you have a bad round your faith goes out of those clubs and you regress right back to where you were. Bet the same holds true somewhat for fly line. If you think it's supposed to help you relax and let it. But a bad casting day ruins the confidence.

That said, my irons are Titleist and my woods are Cleveland. Odyssey putter. Handicap dropped 2 after I bought the Titleist (single digit to a lower single digit). Pinky swear. Equipment can matter some.

I think what he's sayin, is that a guy that golfs a 90 aint gonna suddenly shoot in the 70's cuase he goes out and buys ping irons. He's still gonna shoot 90. Gear don't make the man. I probably took more fish on TFO 90 dollar rods and cort 444 and 8lb berkley trilene (no "leader) than any other combination of fancy shmancy I've ever fished with. ;)

I totally agree bout the fishin gear...gime any rod or line along with some willing trout...And there shall be some fish to hand...As far as golf???...My spare time goes to fishin. :D

I totally agree bout the fishin gear...gime any rod or line along with some willing trout...And there shall be some fish to hand...As far as golf???...My spare time goes to fishin. :D

Interesting thread..,however; "it's not always about the fish"