Fly Fusion Forums

So What Do We Think Happened To This Guy?

Grabbed from Ed's post:

IMGP0475_edited.jpg

Looks like he got grabbed by an otter or weasel or something to me. Not sure if we have those out here.. but something with sharp front teeth. And then struggled and managed to get away sans the top of his head! Ouch!

Dave was out kissing fish again.

Maybe it was placed on a rock for a photo or a jet boat ran over him???

After it was rolled around in the snow, and caught with a count down rapala. Through the ice perhaps?

Whatever it was, ouch!

........Looks like he got grabbed by an otter or weasel or something to me. Not sure if we have those out here.. but something with sharp front teeth. .......

Saw an otter on the Crow last summer, so they're around. Couldn't believe my eyes, but there was no mistaking it. Terry

Looks like he got grabbed by an otter or weasel or something to me. Not sure if we have those out here.. but something with sharp front teeth. And then struggled and managed to get away sans the top of his head! Ouch!

I've seen a weasel in the rocks at the FC boat launch. They're pretty small though, so I doubt a weasel could've done that to a fish that size. They mainly hunt mice and small birds I think.

I've seen a weasel in the rocks at the FC boat launch. They're pretty small though, so I doubt a weasel could've done that to a fish that size. They mainly hunt mice and small birds I think.

Right on, headscan. Weasel's out of the question, otter's unlikely but there are mink around that could be the culprit...or yeah, a bird or possibly bigger fish.

Guest Sundancefisher

Bite pattern seems off for a weasel member (mink etc.) or river otter unless maybe their canines are gone. Unlikely a mink or otter missing canines would be healthy enough to catch a trout that big. Fish looks in pretty good shape. Injury to small to be bite mark from Otter, bear, wolf, cougar, wolverine, fisher with the exception of a juvenile otter...maybe. Not sure when otters get canines (at birth or later).

I would hypothicize that it looks like deep tissue line damage (really bad line cut). With a combination of tight thin line, twisting of the fish and a hard run at the wrong time (for the fish) could of done that. Wound is fresh and wraps around the body a bit. My CSI viewing experience would lead me to say damage from a sharp object would not have inflicted a wound of that shape either.

I have seen fish with bear attach marks, loons, osprey and other fish attach marks. Bears, loons, merganzers, grebes and osprey all have puncture wounds. This does not look like a puncture wound and therefore I must say not caused by those animals. There appears to be no tearing. The scrapes on his back also look like line damage.

Beavers will eat dead meat but not live fish. Shrews are to small.

All I can think of.

The only reason I didn't think it would be a bird of prey is because they scoop fish with their *in his best Napolean Dynamite voice* TALONS..

Which would typically leave multiple wounds on a hit and miss... I think?

noep not exactly.. when i was young i useto feed eagles in a lake in b.c. on the daily.. seems they eat upto 5 bows 12-20 inches..... was nutty too watch kickin aroudn in a canoe tossin out a fish and seeing the eagle coem ffrom waht seemed too eb a mile ore more away........ there were times they missed and dropped the fish tearing out a chunk..... sometimes one set of talons would grab em in the head or tail but the other would miss.. they had em either way and were about too take a second shot................ had a few droped fish with similar marking....... dead fish mind you dont thrash much and a living one..... well could easily wiggle free in this situation........ usetoo watch salmon get picked up too... they had a little more damage but once again a little more fish too grab.. this fish keep in mig was 16 inches or so.........

Guest Sundancefisher

Propellor would not do it. The injury wraps...a propellor should be a flat clip I would think. Line digging in then twisting while the fish thrashes seems my only plausible explanation.

Other than that I would say he just started filleting on the wrong side.

I would hypothicize that it looks like deep tissue line damage (really bad line cut). With a combination of tight thin line, twisting of the fish and a hard run at the wrong time (for the fish) could of done that. Wound is fresh and wraps around the body a bit. My CSI viewing experience would lead me to say damage from a sharp object would not have inflicted a wound of that shape either.

so to sum up your csi opion:

BLUNT FORCE TRAUMA TO THE HEAD

Guest RedWiggler

Maybe a Coyote bite, I know they attack and eat the geese on particular stretch and there is alot of shallow water were the fish move in at night.

yea bluntforce/road rash of some sorts..... out of the fiddymillyun lips ive seen stretched spinnin/icefishin as a young kid and flyfishin ... i have never seen a line wrap do this to any fish....... seen a few gashes similar on my own body at times fallin off the old bmx..... seen it in salmon too when they leap falls and do faceplants into the rocks...... maybe the carslandweir/fishladder? would be full of fish leapin and has some rough hard edges........

well i forgot too add.......shorlty after recieving mega deep cutts from maxmima tippet.......what if the head skipped off the rock with maybe 1 foot of water in a moderate too fast currant dropped frmo a iceshelve 5-6feet high by a man 5 foot8 persay........ :lol::P