Fly Fusion Forums

Wading Boots??

I did a quick search but found zero info.

As most of you surely have much more knowledge on the subject. Which do you use? Are there any advantages or harmful effects of either? I usually do a bit of hiking to get to spots and am curious which type of wading boot I should and should not be looking at.

Wife uses the Korkers. She loves them. Hiking tread great for walking and then felts good for fishing. She does not have the studs. A bit of hassle carring the extra soles around. She carries a plastic bag, puts the sole not being used in her back pouch of her vest. She does not carry a lot of stuff so the extra weight does not bother her. I carry a lot of crap so it might bug me. I have always had boots with felts only, no studs. As long as keep the felts cleaned off I have never had any problems or need for studs. At my age I tend to be cautious where I wade and avoid places I might slip easily.

I've got the Chota STL boots and like them. They come with screw-in studs (sheet metal screws) so you can put them in or take them out. Definately like the studs for the winter. They're comfortable but I don't know that I would do a lot of hiking in them though, they aren't real sturdy. I have walked 3 or 4 kms a day in them and no problems.

I just went from felt to aquastealth soles and I'll never go back. The aquastealth is great in the water and won't slip on grass climbing back up a bank when wet like felt does. Aquastealth is supposed to be the same "living rubber" stuff that they make the soles of climbing boots out of. As for hiking long distances in your wading boots that's going to have just as much if not more to do with the fit of the boot and the support it offers in terms of comfort.

I just went from felt to aquastealth soles and I'll never go back. The aquastealth is great in the water and won't slip on grass climbing back up a bank when wet like felt does. Aquastealth is supposed to be the same "living rubber" stuff that they make the soles of climbing boots out of. As for hiking long distances in your wading boots that's going to have just as much if not more to do with the fit of the boot and the support it offers in terms of comfort.

I almost bought a pair of aquastealth ones, but I was told if I did a lot of fishing on the bow, that I would have a hard time standing on my feet, although the person said they are unbelievable for freestone mountain rivers/streams.

I almost bought a pair of aquastealth ones, but I was told if I did a lot of fishing on the bow, that I would have a hard time standing on my feet, although the person said they are unbelievable for freestone mountain rivers/streams.

I've only used them on the Bow so far and find they're better on algae covered rocks than my felts were. Haven't had a single problem staying on my feet. YMMV.

I've got the Chota STL boots and like them. They come with screw-in studs (drywall screws) so you can put them in or take them out. Definately like the studs for the winter. They're comfortable but I don't know that I would do a lot of hiking in them though, they aren't real sturdy. I have walked 3 or 4 kms a day in them and no problems.

I have Chota's as well. I have one very hard year on them and some stitching has broken loose. They can easily be repaired if I bring them to a shop. I also will say they are almost always wet and/or frozen as I leave them in my car. I am very rough on my gear, so anything that lasts a year without any major issues has been thoroughly tested!

I also lost the studs, but just went to HD and got some more.

If you want to hike with them on I would go higher end - I generally don't wear mine for long hikes prefering to carry them when wet then hike in them, so I get by with run-of-the-mill wardells and light hikers.

A set of slip-on rubber crampons (20-30 bucks) gets me across ice withoput having to mess around with multi-soles etc etc

I run Korker Streamborns, have trail,felt and studded soles..hard on laces (4 pair in a year +/- 100 outings) studded soles split to pieces @ -15, felt came loose on one late last season, both replaced for free tho .. comfy boots for sure, pretty durable uppers, hardly any marks on mine. Never ever had soles fall off. main things when considering wading boots, traction, comfort, and stealth .. sometimes you have to choose between according to conditions, this is why I use a multisole system