Fly Fusion Forums

Just A Few And A Swan

EdB

here's a couple from today and some pic's of that swan that Rick talked about yesterday. Seen it again today. Is that a tag around the neck or did it pick something up? Met Kyle on the river today and we fished on opposite sides of a run. He landed a couple of real butes today. Nice to meet ya and anytime you want i'll meet up with ya again.

IMGP0451_edited.jpgIMGP0450_edited.jpgIMGP0447_edited.jpgIMGP0446_edited.jpgIMGP0444_edited.jpgIMGP0445_edited.jpg

No way dood that's gotta be a band. You see em sometimes. The yanks think it's one of the top waterfowling prizes to shoot a banded swan. I've seen em with orange and yellow bands.

Some real healthy lookin fish there, way to go

If you have the number it would be good to report. There were hundreds of swans down here this past week, but they are tundras..simply based on numbers and locations.

A banded swan MAY mean a trumpeter--just because tundras are much more common. But tundras/trumpeters can be difficult to ID for sure. A yellow beak marking indicates a tundra, but it can be absent on a tundra. I took the pix below two years ago and believe it to be a trumpeter for three reasons:

• It had a guttural call -- unlike a tundra swan
  • It was in SW Alberta where trumpeters are known to occur--versus out on the plains.
  • It had no yellow beak marking
Great trout BTW... ;)

swan-5922.jpg