Fly Fusion Forums

Switch Rods

ReelLife

I'd have to agree with Max on this subject. A small Spey rod in the 11'6" - 12'6" range...In a 6 or 7wt. for the nymphs/drys and an 8wt. for the tips and big flies. These type of rods are extremely versatile fishing tools that can be adapted/lined for just about any fishing situation on our rivers and lakes. If I had to choose one rod for all of the fishing situations described by ReelLife, I'd say one of my Loop 11'6" ers, either the 7wt. or 8wt., would handle it all with ease, even that big gator Doc's holding. Excellent for casting from tight shorelines or from the boat and still a good feel to the fight of a 17" Rainbow on the line.

(Thanks for the pic Weedy and congrats to Doc)

That's not Doc. He's another one of the guys that fishes Wabamun. His fish was bigger and much more impressive than Doc's, thus the link to his fish.

Doc only catches fish that need dentures. :P

DSCN0015.jpg

These are nice fish.....

great thread!

Yes I am thinking the 5/6 for most of my lake fishing and the 6/7 for the 40"+ Pike :). Need Weedy1 to post a picture he took of a pike caught by Doc (Mike Monteith) at Wabamun Lake a couple of weeks ago.

Now go check out some of the threads about reels for two-handed rods. If you get the 5/6 with the matching Elixir line you probably won't be able to fit the line on a reel meant for 5 or 6 wt. single-handed rods. I had to spool my 5/6 Elixir on a Nautilus 8.

I noticed that on the Speypages website Courtney says all Beulah switch rods balance much better with a well machined 9/10 weight reel. He uses XS Snowbee or Hardy Swift TE 975or even likes Loop Evotec. I am wondering whether any of the Snowbee cassett reel systems would work? In other words what reel would be recommended for the 5/6 rod and what reel for the 7/8 rod?

The 910 reels suit these rods very well...Snowbee does not do that size in the cassett. The 780 XSD Cassett reel system is on the small side... I do know that Beulah is coming out with a reel itself later this spring..there is a practical purpose of rod/reel balance that should be considered with all set-ups...I like to have my reels fit my rods,but with that said,I have ,and regularly do,fish the 780 XSD cassett reel with a Scandanavian short head full sinking Spey Line or the Elixir...but, the backing needs to be a Micro Backing or GelSpun!

Oh...BTW...the Same reel will work with any of the Switch Rods

C