Fly Fusion Forums

Spring Creek Fly Fishing In Wisconsin

Lundvike

As some of you may know I am on a training course in Wisconsin for a couple of weeks and as the course doesn't run on the weekends I needed to find something to occupy my time. So today I hired a guide to fish the small spring fed creeks of SW wisconsin. These are narrow meandering limestone bottomed creeks that are supposed to be similar to chalk streams. Well it snowed about a foot here yesterday so I almost didn't go luckily i did.

IMGP0425.jpg

it was a couple degrees below freezing in the morning so we started out nymphing and were into some 8 to 12" browns almost immediately. Then at the top of a run where water from two troughs converged I hooked into this beauty great fight especially on a 3wt.

IMGP0431.JPG

After lunch it warmed up considerably and the BWO hatch was on with lots (after it gets past counting using both hands I lost track) of eager browns taking parachute adams. The biggest being a 14" brown that I caught in this pool.

IMGP0433.JPG

Truly an amazing day and if anyone is heading to this area I have a guide that I would highly recommend.

Today the president of the local trout unlimited chapter took me stealheading on the Miliwaukee and Menomonee rivers which are urban rivers flowing throught the heart of Milwaukee. This chrome bullet was caught within a block of Miller Park where the Brewers play.

2008-03-23%20Steelhead%20010.jpg

Glad you're having a good time. Those WiTU guys aren't half bad.

Niiiiiiice fish! You gonna go on a week night?

The WI TU guys have been amazing. Very willing to help me out and let me in on all of their secrets. Thank you for introducing me. We are going to try to get out Wednesday evening.

All of their secrets? So you know about the Pink Squirrel?

Ok that came out wrong, but they have been exceptionally welcoming and were more than willing to share their successful fishing tactics with me. Oh and I went for a nice swim in the Menomenee yesterday afternoon, water was alot deeper and muddier than sunday and I really need to get a wading staff, on a positive note I found a really deep hole :P:P