Fly Fusion Forums

Wader Question

I recently found a deal online for a pair of Simms waders, and have a question about the sizing of the waders. The store only has two sizes available, one of which exactly matches my dimensions, while the other gives me about 3-4 more inches in both the length and the diameter. I have heard that having waders too large or too small can cause the waders to wear much faster than they should. Which ones would be better to buy? Would the ones rated for my size fit quite snug, or would they be fine? Thanks

I recently found a deal online for a pair of Simms waders, and have a question about the sizing of the waders. The store only has two sizes available, one of which exactly matches my dimensions, while the other gives me about 3-4 more inches in both the length and the diameter. I have heard that having waders too large or too small can cause the waders to wear much faster than they should. Which ones would be better to buy? Would the ones rated for my size fit quite snug, or would they be fine? Thanks

Go to a store locally that sells that brand and they may have that particular model if available for you to try on (new old stock)... Even if the exact size/style/model isn't available they may fit similar to what they have on hand ("may"). I've always been told that a little bigger isn't a bad thing especially if you are going to be fishing "shoulder season", if too small you'll most likely put stress on the seems and possibly blow them...

Hope this info is helpful!

P

Dude...that's a bit weak.

Everyone knows there are deals online - but it's not fair to a shop to go in and ask to try some waders on and then say "wow these fit perfect - thanks!" and then walk out of the shop.

Not sure about the Simms sizing, but I'm 5'7" with a 32" waist and I wear Med-Shorts and they fit wonderfully.

Dude...that's a bit weak.

Everyone knows there are deals online - but it's not fair to a shop to go in and ask to try some waders on and then say "wow these fit perfect - thanks!" and then walk out of the shop.

Not sure about the Simms sizing, but I'm 5'7" with a 32" waist and I wear Med-Shorts and they fit wonderfully.

Rusty, yes you may consider it "weak", but in reality, it's called capitalism! Tons of people bought cars down in the States when the Canadian dollar went up! Speaking of car dealerships... Does one naturally only go to one dealer and test drive only at that dealer?!

Here's a novel idea, walk into that same store and if they have the same model/size, etc. ask then to match the price?! If they can't or don't then I guess it really doesn't matter!

P

Ooh, this one could get touchy, but...

I have to agree with Rusty, mostly. I have a hard time going into small Brick and Mortar stores, trying on their stuff, and buying online. I find myself accepting that I have to pay a bit more for stuff in the smaller stores because they have overhead the online places don't. And I need the small stores to stay around for when I need something fast.

And while I agree with 1-4 above, and that it is capitalism, it is short sighted to not purchase from your local store. You really do need them around. And they can't compete on price with American on line shops.

That said, I have no issue trying it on at a big box store, and buying it somewhere else online. Maybe because the big box stores have on line options as well as physical locations.

Check local retailers for the pricing of the 2007 Simms stuff. The 2008 waders are arriving soon so they probably want to get rid of the old stock. I bought a pair of G3 waders on the weekend and got a good deal for that exact reason. Then again, I may have just gotten the deal because I've established a good relationship with the local retailer by buying most of my gear there. ;)

I have to agree with Rusty, mostly. I have a hard time going into small Brick and Mortar stores, trying on their stuff, and buying online. I find myself accepting that I have to pay a bit more for stuff in the smaller stores because they have overhead the online places don't. And I need the small stores to stay around for when I need something fast.

And while I agree with 1-4 above, and that it is capitalism, it is short sighted to not purchase from your local store. You really do need them around. And they can't compete on price with American on line shops.

That said, I have no issue trying it on at a big box store, and buying it somewhere else online. Maybe because the big box stores have on line options as well as physical locations.

The last thing I wanted was a drop down drag out... So where do you draw the line... Is "Whole Sale" considered "Big Box" and Fishtales, Troutfitters, etc. considered local! They all carry [or will carry] Sage rods... So do you test one particular rod at only one place or see what other options/availability/price there is (they may or may not even have the same models)... I agree that local shops have a great purpose and I'm all for supporting shops and staff that provide stellar service, info, training, advise, etc., (and I do!!!) but sometimes price is the only factor...

P

I guess another important consideration is amount of savings... Is it going to be worthwhile (when adding in shipping, gst., brokerage, duty, etc.)?! And that's going to be realative, depending on how cheap one is!! ;)

The last thing I wanted was a drop down drag out... So where do you draw the line... Is "Whole Sale" considered "Big Box" and Fishtales, Troutfitters, etc. considered local! They all carry [or will carry] Sage rods... So do you test one particular rod at only one place (they may or may not all have the same models)... I agree that local shops have a great purpose and I'm all for supporting shops and staff that provide stellar service, info, training, advise, etc., (and I do!!!) but sometimes price is the only factor...

P

Personally if I knew little about wader fit, i would be inclined to find a good shop with people that know what they re talking about, and support them for good service. A set of good Simms waders are just too pricey to take a chance on the fit buying online and the advice of a good shop owner could be a big help.

Once a person has bought a set then you would be better equipped for the next time if you choose to do the online thing.

Not trying to start a fight. And I fully understand my somewhat (or fully) hypocritical stance. I think it could have more to do with relationships. When I'm dealing with the smaller shops, I know my individual sale means more than at Wholesale. I've really gotten to know the owners at a couple of fly shops , so I would feel I was cheating if I tried stuff their and bought online.

So back on topic:

Here is some free advertising for one of our local shops. I bought some waders by a company called Mirano from Hanson's. I tested them over the winter and bought the test pair. They are less expensive than more name brands (I also have a pair of Simm's), but the quality is fantastic. I've worn mine probably 20 times this winter and love them.

So back on topic:

Here is some free advertising for one of our local shops. I bought some waders by a company called Mirano from Hanson's. I tested them over the winter and bought the test pair. They are less expensive than more name brands (I also have a pair of Simm's), but the quality is fantastic. I've worn mine probably 20 times this winter and love them.

What's the warranty like on those? The reason I have no problem paying extra for Simms or Patagonia is that the warranty service is top notch. I Googled "mirano waders" but couldn't find a website for them.

Not trying to start a fight. And I fully understand my somewhat (or fully) hypocritical stance. I think it could have more to do with relationships. When I'm dealing with the smaller shops, I know my individual sale means more than at Wholesale. I've really gotten to know the owners at a couple of fly shops , so I would feel I was cheating if I tried stuff their and bought online.

So back on topic:

No, no... No fight!

I completely agree! Service (relationship) is HUGE!

And yes back on topic... The sizing for the Simms waders definitely changed when they changed models...

P

Guest bigbadbrent

depends what models you are talking about, their sizing hasn't changed, otherwise they'd be putting out new sizing charts (which they havent).

Their old G3 guides fit the same as the new G3 guides, the G4 Pros and the G4 Guides(these are the only ones i see changing, and they changed a minuscule amount).

Like Headscan said, i'll pay the extra money to deal with Simms and Patagonia over any other wader/clothing company any day

what waders were you looking at getting Fishpro

Now Brent, you kniow I'd never disagree with you....

Warranty is a year I've had one of their rods for about a year, broke it twice (both totally my fault) and they replaced both times no prob, and I think no charge. I've owned a few waders in my time and these are sweet, and at 250 bucks, way less expensive for similar features.

That said, please don't think I'm doggin Simms or Patagonia. I'm not, they make great stuff. But just remember when they give you a long warranty, its basically an insurance policy on their part hidden in the price. nothing is free!

Has anyone here used the Cloudveil 8x waders? I've found some of these for sale on the same sight that I could get in instead and they have the right size. How would they be compared to the simms?

I have the Cloudveil 8x Jacket and can say that this is one of the best wading jackets made. I beleive the waders are made of the same material/construction process and like the jacket, have received top ratings from many veteran guides/anglers.

Has anyone here used the Cloudveil 8x waders? I've found some of these for sale on the same sight that I could get in instead and they have the right size. How would they be compared to the simms?

I've heard of lots of returns b/c of leaks! The ones my buddy tried on at Wholesale had 2 left feet (quality control issues, I'd say).

Go with the Simms!

P

I have the Cloudveil 8x Jacket and can say that this is one of the best wading jackets made. I beleive the waders are made of the same material/construction process and like the jacket, have received top ratings from many veteran guides/anglers.

Yeah, those Cloudveil jackets look pretty good. Right now Cloudveil, Simms, Cabella's, and LL Bean are the only ones that are licensed to make Gore-Tex waders and fishing jackets as well.

I went from only having owned cheap-ass waders to the Simms G3s and you can seriously tell the difference. The material feels more durable and the seams look bomb-proof. I also didn't need as many layers under my waders to keep warm or feel too hot when walking back to the car. It was almost like they were breathable or something. Oh, wait...

The warranty may be built into the price on Simms and Patagonia stuff, but when a seam fails after 366 days I just send them back and they'll be repaired or replaced. One year warranty has you shelling out another $250.

Guest bigbadbrent
I've heard of lots of returns b/c off leaks! The ones my buddy tried on at Wholesale had 2 left feet (quality control issues, I'd say).

Go with the Simms!

P

ding ding ding....

this is what im talking about rick, He's not the only one that has heard and seen cloudveils being returned due to problems like this.

I don't care how expensive patagonia or simms is, when you send stuff back that is 14 years old (see: patagonia) and they send u a gift card worth an infinitely bigger sum then a 14 year old jacket is worth, i will pay that extra money for the name over and over again (and im a freaking student..).....

ding ding ding....

this is what im talking about rick, He's not the only one that has heard and seen cloudveils being returned due to problems like this.

I don't care how expensive patagonia or simms is, when you send stuff back that is 14 years old (see: patagonia) and they send u a gift card worth an infinitely bigger sum then a 14 year old jacket is worth, i will pay that extra money for the name over and over again (and im a freaking student..).....

I have stories like this as well - regarding patagonia (very rare mind you) but if it ever happens, they stand by their products! PERIOD!! No questions, no fuss, no muss!! And you can't beat their environmental ethic, etc. If you ever get the chance to read "Let My People Go Surfing" READ IT!!

P