Fly Fusion Forums

How A Bamboo Rod Is Built

Guys/Gals,

Here is a site that unfortunately in in Italian. But the pictures say it all. While he uses some tools & techniques I don't, you will get the general idea of the construction techniques. And for all you hawkeyed folks out there, how many CDN made tools is he using and where are they available?

For those that can't sit still for 10 minutes or so, this site isn't for you.

http://upon-bamboo-fly-fishing-rods-and-re...s/slideshow.swf

Don

great site dude.. met a fellow in calgary who builds boo rods a few years back..was interesting too see all of the different steps/toolbenches he had built...right down too selecting your piece of boo..... thanks for posting

ricinus,

Gotta a kick outta seeing made in Canada tools on the site. His planes were Stanley and Record, both made by Record of the UK. The measurement tools I couldn't see clear enough.

And Lee Valley it is. A CDN company started by a guy from Sask. while working in Ottawa. Can't imagine a woodworker or wood craftsman of any type not drooling over their catalogues.

catch ya'

Don

Hi Don,

I think Lee Valley is known worldwide for quality and customer service. On top of the woodworking tools, the gardening stuff is equally good. The old story -- buy quality cry once, buy junk cry often.

Leonard Lee's book on sharpening is the bible on the subject of how to sharpen just about anything.

I bought the DVD Trout Grass and actually the slide show on your link is even better.

Regards Mike

ricinus,

It's great seeing a CDN company doing well in the face of the junk coming out of China. There always seems to a decent market for good tools. I know what you mean about customer relations with Lee Valley. Had the hots @ one time to try a wood sole plane and they had three in their catalogue. Wrote them [this was before the email stuff but slightly after Pony Express] and described what I wanted to do with the plane and which one would they recommend. Curiously, they recommended the cheaper plane. It was only $40 @ that time and I was prepared for the expensive one @ $165. Makes you wonder how many businesses would recommend their least expensive product. After that, they got my business whenever I needed tools

Len Lee did a sharpening program @ the Calgary store just after the book was written. Great guy.

The slide show from that web link is a very good one. I know how long it takes to put one together. I have one on PP that I've used for speaking engagements. Only took 6 months of picture taking and editing. Every day my wife would take more photos as the rod went through the process of construction. From all the photos, I got about 1/2 hour of Power Point.

Hope you enjoyed the site. It's a dandy.

catch ya'

Don

Thanks for Posting Don, I've read about the process out of interest a number of times but it was neat to see it in pictures. Very enlightening. Confirms my previous belief that the closest I will get to "building" a bamboo rod is buying and wrapping a blank. Ha Ha.

My hat is off to your for the pacience to produce your creations.