Fly Fusion Forums

Good Article On Breathable Waders

DonAndersen

Great article, gets me exited about the future of Waterproof-Breatable anything...skiing stuff, fishing stuff, etc. Also a great explanation for people who don't know why prices differ so much. I don't think it's unrealistic to imagine our waders as a set of overalls that fit similar to Carhardts (but not neoprenes) due to the softshell-type fabrics. What I have trouble buying into is the fact that your waders breath even when submersed in water. For water vapour to flow, there a pressure gradient must exist to allow that vapor to flow from high pressure to low. I see this when standing in air, but in water, there is high pressure from the water compared to relatively low pressure in your waders...why would the vapor flow out the micropores? unless it's a matter of temperature and trying to equalize temp. or something. The science on this stuff is amazing, but I'm skeptical of waders breathing while immersed.