Fly Fusion Forums

William Joseph "vest"

I'm looking at getting a William Joseph "vest" for an anniversary gift this year. Any body have some user experience on specific models? Any model to gravitate to or any to stay away from? I've definately decided to give up the classic vest.

I was a vest man my whole life, the pockets the pouches the pouches in the pockets..I had it bad.. this last summer I met some new fishing buddies that packed bags, after winning a new bag at the clean up this summer (perhaps a sign?) I threw all my gear in it, plus a bunch of other stuff I'd never be able to pack in a vest. It took a little getting use to at first, but I gave it some time and I don;t think I'll ever go back to a vest.

PROS

holds more

less restriction

cooler in summer

don;t have to try and squeeze a warm coat over/under it in winter

you are on shore when rigging up so loosing gear is almost eliminated

CONS

less comfortable while fishing and walking (for me anyway)

have to go to shore to rig up

some people may think you look like a rookie(if you care about that sort of thing :P )

best i can compare it to is playing hockey at the rink in full gear, then heading to the pond to play shinny with just gloves and a stick.

I have the "Escape" pack and I really do like it. It carries all the gear I need and has room to spare. I also have their older style that looks like the Confluence and I've been thinking about picking up either one of their fanny packs (Catalyst) or possibly their Satchel. I think their gear is excellent and very well made.

James

hit the road JACK ..

you'd love a blender admit it .. 4 blade, 6 speed, 12 amps of puree power .. I can see the twinkle in your eye

i could so take that way beyond over the line for a 'family' forum. LOL :P

no not really. i dont need a blender. a vest on the other hand... i could use another one.

Going back to your original question about William Joseph, I recently bought a "Coastal" pack. It's no longer in production, or at least not on the web site, but you can still find them around. At any rate, I find it very comfortable and easy to organize. It has quickly become my favorite vest/pack.

Thanks everyone for all the input. I realy want one of those things on Cabela's. Sweeeeeeeeeeeet! But I went with the Equinox. It holds everything I need and then some and the water bladder feature will be well worth it. It also forced me to be more selective in what I actually NEED on the river instead of taking all the WANTS with me. Much lighter now.