Fly Fusion Forums

Building Shadow Boxes...

bulltrout

Go get the shadow box itself from micheals they have a whole buttload. When I made mine I used cork to mount the flies on. I just got a thumbtack, the ones with the flat push part, and put that through the cardboard backing into the cork. It held in pretty nicely. You can also get mini wine bottle corks from Micheals.

So I started out almost 2 months ago with the plan to make a shadow box for my dads 60th. The inspiration is the beaver pond where my dad taught me to fish and that I fished almost weekly until I was 18 and left for university. I still fish it a couple of times a year, I went there yesterday and there was a thin layer of ice on it not good for fly-fishing. The Pond is the background for the shadow box. I planned on doing streamers and drys but a botched ebay auction left me without the hackle I wanted, so streamers and nymphs it is. The streamers got kind squished in transit so they aren't as nice as I hoped they would be. Anyways here is the final product. These things are hard to photograph at least for me.

2157254084_ce25b3582a_b.jpg

I think you are meaning to build the box itself but this is how I filled one that I bought from Micheals. Its a 5x7 box cost ~$16.

There is a great tutorial in Mike Radenich's Tying the Classic Atlantic Salmon Fly. There was also an article in Fly Tyer a year or 2 back. If I can find the issue, I'll post it.

if you find the issue, lemme know as i have some archives of FT that i can dig through (if i can find them in the closet)...

EDIT: i did find it after all...it was the summer 2005 issue...will give it a read through and see if it helps...thanks darren...

I think you are meaning to build the box itself but this is how I filled one that I bought from Micheals. Its a 5x7 box cost ~$16.

Looks pretty good to me Carl....too bad you got the flash hotspot from the glass or it would have shown better.

I have been using glass dome with flies mounted on odd looking pieces of drift wood set on bases I turn myself on a lathe......it's something different. I have also seen some aquariums setup for displays that are pretty good lookinh as well.