Fly Fusion Forums

My First Leech

Guest Rocknbugs

Guest Rocknbugs

This is my first Leech. These pics are all of the same fly just differant background.

Hook: Mustad 79580 #6 Streamer

Thread: 6/0 Red Uni

Tail: Claret Marabou

Body: Arizona Semi Seal Burgandy with some UV Ice Dub Dun blended in behind the head just to hide the gap behind the Cone

Head: Cone Head 3/16 Gold

IMGP0392.jpg

IMGP0391.jpg

IMGP0393.jpg

Is the tail to long or is the dubbin to short? Something does not look right.....lol

Do I have enough dubbin on the body? Should the plucked dubbin be thicker/lighter?

The bead may be to big but its all I have for cones at this point, anyways let me know what you think.

looks sick man maybe a bit longer on the tail and maybe try some with a red glass bead and some lead on the front third of the hook for weight. the lead will hide pretty easy under the dubbing. I do some with 1 layer of lead and some with 2 I usually find the heavier ones have a nicer action and produce better.

The simi-seal leech has been very productive for me lately.

I usually tie them without a tail, and a bit thicker of a body, a red wire rib, and a round red bead for the head, though I don't think the colour of the bead matters much as the red wears off quite easily and the silver underneath seams to work just as well.

As far as standards go, maybe the tail should be a bit longer, and the body a bit thicker, as far as the fish are concerned, I don't think they care, and you'll have'm on the end of that thing the first time you fish it. Try blending the UV ice dub in with the burgandy body as it makes for a bit of sparkle in the body. I usually blend up a mix of burgundy, black, purple, and various ice dub colours including copper. Olive and black versions of this fly have also worked well for me in still waters.

Guest bigbadbrent

what part of the marabou are you using, the top of the feather?

if you are using the top, try stripping the marabou off of the side of the feather, its got far more motion then the top section

Guest Rocknbugs
The re-tie looks pretty sweet. If you have some read silver lined glass beads, stick one behind the cone.

I like the red bead, because the size of it though I went with a smaller cone and I like the way they look, thx for the tip.

IMGP0400.jpg

IMGP0401.jpg

Guest bigbadbrent

last tip from me, then you'll have it. Don't have the glass bead all the way at the front, put it about 3/4 up the shank, and have some mohair covering it, It give it more of an internal glow, and i have caught more fish on ones that have the glass under the mohair, then right to the front.