Fly Fusion Forums

Couldn't Wait For Spring

We're in Puerto Rico for a few more days. Aside from the local driving (no regard for lane markers, don't hang up to drive while putting on make-up, what's a turn signal?) the only thing close to ticking me off this week was not envy. It was the spotty internet signal.

My husband is working and I'm tasked with keeping an eye on that ocean. I'm pretty lucky to tag along. Our 10th anniversary is the 5th of March and I was kinda hoping to return to the scene of the crime in Maui. But his company is installing a machine that makes widgets here. The plane fare for me was pretty reasonable. A friend got us out of our hotel room and into a condo that has an enormous number of amenities for only a little more money. So the kitchen we now have is actually saving Mike's company money he would have spent in restaurants. Palmas del Mar is a big resort community. People take pride in the surroundings and the staff also maintains it assiduously.

We went to the rain forest on El Yunque yesterday and hiked along a waterfall. The signs said "no fishing" but it didn't look like we'd have much luck anyway. On the way back to Palmas, we stopped at a public beach behind a strip of bodegas and it was strewn with hideous amounts of trash. The little league field right next to the ocean had to be a field of dreams, though.

Our fishing and snorkeling trips have been postponed because the sea is too rough. I guess the captain has had enough of the tourists puking away his profits, so he won't take them out in these conditions. We will survive.

Where you goin', ladystrange?

They got funny looking trout here:

2m3qrh3.jpg

Flowers grow on trees, moss grows on trees, trees grow on trees:

mskw9e.jpg

I love fishing near waterfalls:

huruis.jpg

But some killjoy posted the area:

13ykjzn.jpg

Back in the frozen north tomorrow. Winter fishing season in my favorite area opened last weekend, so I got that goin for me. Which is nice.

no fishing?!? whats with that... sux.

my trip begins in Sao Paulo Brazil. somehow i have to be creative to get to Santos. havent figured that out yet.

board the ship and off we go to Rio, Recife, Salvador de Bahia (not in that order) then 5 days at sea crossing the Atlantic.

next stop is Tenerife, Madeira, Seville (Cadiz), Lisbon, where thankfully my girlfriend and her mother join us so i can have a break from 2 weeks at sea with my mom... the we're off to Gibraltar, Sardinia, Dubrovnik (Croatia), and finally Venice.

Where i have yet to find a hotel but i think i have one narrowed down, just waiting for my travel agent to get around to it. we over night by train to Vienna, with an annoying 4am stop in Salzberg to change trains - oi. after 3 days in the heart of the ringroad surrounded by castles and museums, we are off on the morning train to Prague. i have a school buddy who lives there and is going to show us the sights for 2 days. then we beatnik it off to London for a quick overnight and short early morning run around London and then back to Calgary.

i'll be gone for a month. i just hope i can handle my mom for that long

That sounds fantastic! You're checking off quite a few on my life to-do list. Guess I'll have to stay healthy and save a lot of money by tying my own flies ;) so that I can check them off someday.

Be sure you take your camera and tell us all about it!