Fly Fusion Forums

Why Do You Tye Your Own Flys

Snowwolf

Why do I tie flies?

One reason is not to save money as this is impossible when you start collecting and hoarding materials, the last month has been about 2 - 300 Euros on materials so there is no saving money there!

Another reason is if you want standard, you can buy standard but if you want the fly to be something radical and unique then the only way to get that fly is to tie it yourself as you know exactly what it needs to look like.

I prefer out of the box thinking to get the right solution instead of sticking to traditionals patterns and methods, if there is something that you can use that serves the purpose then use it, Anti-Static Film, rubber gloves, sequins, beads, off hook bodies and that is just for starters!

The real satisfaction of tying still has to be that feeling of netting a fish on something you created yourself instead of coming from some mass production shed in Kenya.

The fly you tie does not have to be some picture perfect, every barbule standing to attention, pea in a pod item but what gives you the satisfaction at the end of it's creation. We can all copy things but the genius is in inventing things to do the job or approach the subject from a different direction and get a result!

TLs and happy tying to you all!

definately some great responses. $.25 flies. that's funny. i dont dare ask how much the movies were or gas prices at the time.

it is funny how some people manage to save money and AC and I spend $700 in a few months. i do end up hoarding materials, buying stuff on sale that i know i dont need but might some day and even if i dont have a use for it right now. i might find one. i still have micro twist, which i have no idea what it is. but i'm brainstorming on a usage.

SW - i'm a girl, of course i like shiny things. i just stay out of conventional girl stores. :P

definately some great responses. $.25 flies. that's funny. i dont dare ask how much the movies were or gas prices at the time.

it is funny how some people manage to save money and AC and I spend $700 in a few months. i do end up hoarding materials, buying stuff on sale that i know i dont need but might some day and even if i dont have a use for it right now. i might find one. i still have micro twist, which i have no idea what it is. but i'm brainstorming on a usage.

SW - i'm a girl, of course i like shiny things. i just stay out of conventional girl stores. :P

well as long as you don't have multiple storage units with all the stuff your hording its all good :-)

oh my, i'm killing myself laughing. my portable gear is portable-ish. it moves if i carry it. therefore, portable. sort of. it really could use some wheels. or a dolly

and yeah it is close to 40lbs. i'm thinking of moving up to a shopping cart before i blow out my back. except trying to get a shopping cart into my truck is difficult.

i feel like a mosquito in a nudist colony, i know what to do, i just dont know where to start - i'm already in therapy. I wonder if my shrink can sort out this addiction

just because i spent $200 on fritz to be shipped from the UK. harumpf! LOL look shiny stuff. :D

oh my, i'm killing myself laughing. my portable gear is portable-ish. it moves if i carry it. therefore, portable. sort of. it really could use some wheels. or a dolly

I wonder if my shrink can sort out this addiction

I have a small dolly you can have if you want it. I'm sure we can find you a 12 step program if you need one too... :P

I tie my own flies so I can spend thousands of dollars on materials instead of hundreds on flies :wacko::wacko::wacko:

Regards Mike

There's so much truth in that statement; especially if you get into tying classic salmon flies. But then again there are worse vices one could have.

There's so much truth in that statement; especially if you get into tying classic salmon flies. But then again there are worse vices one could have.

I have seen some of the rarer feathers on Ebay and shake my head. But the final products are works of art and its nice to see that someone is keeping the traditions alive.

Regards Mike