Fly Fusion Forums

I Know This Might Sound Like A Funny Question

Snowwolf

but when does it get warm enough to start fly fishing in Calgary.

I am new to the area and I am a winter wimp without good winter waders. Any good places to get a pair. I went into the new warehouse sporting store down south and its a really nice store. Kinda reminds me of Cabelas.

Is there a fly club here in Calgary as well?

thanx for the help

Hi welcome aboard SnowWolf,

If you want deals, wholesale is a good place as is russels. I got a pair of Neos from russels last fall, as come mid May I'll Wet wade. but for quality advice and stock Fishtales can't be beat, great bunch of guys, but I warn you once you get one of them talkin fishin you'll be there the afternoon.

And yes you can fish the bow all year, Calgary is truly an amazing town.

Teck

P.S. where ya from

but when does it get warm enough to start fly fishing in Calgary.

I am new to the area and I am a winter wimp without good winter waders. Any good places to get a pair. I went into the new warehouse sporting store down south and its a really nice store. Kinda reminds me of Cabelas.

Is there a fly club here in Calgary as well?

thanx for the help

Warm enough in Calgary is above 0. If you see this in the forecast, there will be lots of people on the river. Watch out for drift ice. Large slabs (up to car sized) start breaking off in warmer weather. Some people fish when it's below 0 but I've found slush to be too bothersome.

Just wear several layers under regular waders and get out of the water now and then before your legs stop working.

Look up posts for the Hook and Hackle Club. They meet every month during the winter.

welcome SW if u dont want too take advantage of the chinnoks and do a little winter fishin ide say u shoul dbe laughin and fishing by april unless be get a bunch more nsow...mid-april and may is usually pretty brown and not too cold...just before the big rains and high water

Guest Sundancefisher

I believe most people will tell you you can't fish during the winter...just so they get the river to themselves. The only winter flyfishing I have done is a little in the Bow (I want to do more) and some up north like the Clearwater, Clear, Stauffer and Raven).

The most important thing to know is air temperature needs to be above freezing (including wind chill) so that your guides do not freeze up.

Then put your long undies on and neoprene waders and off you go.

Cheers.

Sun

hey Everyone,

thank you so much for all the great advice. I am a local from the Pacific Northwest and still have family in Oregon and Washington. I am self taught and have been fly fishing for close to 20 years. I remarried last year to my lovely wife who lives here but is orginally from Medicinehat. I have a 11 year old step daughter and have been teaching her how to fly fish for the last year. I am a biologist and have worked mainly on natural gas pipeline jobs in the states but am looking for perm work up here. I had to go back to the states this last year for 10 months to work since my vistor visa was almost up and I had not found work here in my field.

There is not very much I would rather be going then fly fishing and look forward to getting out there and getting my line wet and catching a few.

My wifes family goes down to Beaver Mines Lake each summer to camp/fish even got my brother in law interested in fly fishing as well. I love it down there.

so hopefully that explains a little bit about me and my situation. So anyone else here in the Bio field?

definately check out the hook and hackle club. we will be tying at the sportsman show all weekend at the round up centre. stop by we'd be happy to answer any questions and by all means come to the open house.

hey LadyStrange do you have any kinda info on the times of the tying there at the show or is all day long kinda thing. I looked on the sportsman show web site and didn't see any kind of schedule for the Hook and Hackle group. When is the open house going to be?

thanks again for the reply.

Dann

Welcome to Calgary. Fortunatley we can pretty much fish all year round...

Where you from? Ontario? Texas?

Good luck :)

Hey fisher26,

I am origianlly from WA/OR our cold season fishing was pretty much just for Salmon which I really never got into.....just more the trout kinda guy

later

D

Just be careful what ice you walk on and bring a little net so you don't have to get right to the edge of the ice to land a fish as the ice ledges can and do break sometimes...... just a heads up

oh I would never walk on the ice drowning is not my kinda thing....

hey LadyStrange do you have any kinda info on the times of the tying there at the show or is all day long kinda thing. I looked on the sportsman show web site and didn't see any kind of schedule for the Hook and Hackle group. When is the open house going to be?

thanks again for the reply.

Dann

pretty much an all day event. i was there tonight from 5-9. i do believe doors open tomorrow morning at 10?!? dont hold me to that and then close at 9pm.

saturday, i think is 10am again. i am tying from 2pm until 9pm and sunday not sure what time but i am there from 2 until close, which could be 5pm

swing by, i'd love to chat with you. the hook and hackle tables are between the fishing hole and the trout pond.

i fish the rivers in the beaver mine lake area in the summer. just turn right in stead of left and follow the castle river camp ground signs, head over the mountain and turn right again. if you hit the bridge you have gone too far, i'll be at the lynx creek camp sites. maybe we can sling a few flies this summer.

Snowwolf,

In order to successfully fish the Bow in the winter you need 2 things.

A chinook

and no job.

If both of those things happen at once, you can get a lot of fishing done.

If not, you end up like me, having not fished since the solstice event on dec 21st on the crow. :(