Fly Fusion Forums

Kananaskis Lakes

Thinking of trying the K-Lakes for the first time on Thursday. Is the lower lake the better one? What do you guys mostly use, floating line, sinking, sink tip? As for flies I read the other post in here, different types of big streamers. Where is the best spot on the lake to catch fish? Any help would be appreciated.

I have been doing pretty well catatonic leeching anywhere where there is a bit of current IE inflows, outflows, creeks ect. There are many days though when the way to go is big streamers moving fast or sometimes dragged slow along the bottom. Make sure you stay outta the closed bay on the lower. I like the lower better as the fish are all big and considering that my smallest fish outta the lower ever was a 17inchish rainbow (as far as memory serves) I do mean bigger but the lower hands out skunkings on a regular basis and can be hot and cold. Work the different depths and try to find where they are hitting...... lather rinse and repeat

MMAX, the only way to access the closed area on foot is if you take the turn off marked Penninsula, which is a left turn off of the Smith Dorrien Trail or Spray lakes road. So you shouldn't accidently fish it if you don't go there. I would fish the outflow, which draws water from the upper lake and into the lower lake. You could also fish Kent creek inflow which is on the lower lake. Or, you could fish boulton creek inflow. On the upper you could fish interlakes, sarrail falls, or directly infront of the upper lakes day use site. Grab a kananaskis lakes map from a sporting goods store. These spots are all clearly marked on this map. Suspending chironimids and streamers work, or you can strip in streamers. Patience at these lakes is key my friend.

Sorry I didn't reply sooner, computer crashed and was in the shop. Went out Thursday the 21st. Started about 9:30am at the boat launch, nothing doing. After lunch went around to Kent Creek, nothing there. Tried about half way across the dam and got 3 big bulls, lost 1 on a big black wooly bugger. Met Glenbow there, he was doing pretty good as well on his suspended leeches. Awesome lake, awesome fish.