Fly Fusion Forums

Midge Tutorial

ggp

deadly little fly GGP I just wished I had a couple more of those the other day on the water. My smallest flies were 18s and they were about 4 x the size of the midges coming off. That was the only fly I had that seemed to be catching

Do you ever put a coat of Sally Hansens on the quill body for added durabilty?

• 2 weeks later...
Nick if you have some Mylar Piping you will find that it's filled with a white material, just pull some out and use it...It works great.

DSCN0926.jpg

Gary,

I tied a couple of dem dar midges this aft (#18's - which is the smallest I've tied to date, not sure how you even see those #20's!!) Will let you know how they work in the next couple of days!

Cheers

Peter

• 2 years later...
Midge Tutorial

Just thought that I would share how I tie my midge.

These are the materials needed

2 Peacock Hurl's, white antron or something similar, Dai-Riki #135 size 20, bead, eraser and thread

DSCN0885.jpg

I prefer to crimp the barb at this time so that the bead will slide on easily, and then set hook into vice and attach thread

DSCN0890.jpg

Take one of the peacock hurls and remove the hurl from the stem rubbing gently with the eraser.

DSCN0886.jpg

Tie in stripped stem on top of hook...keeping it on the top, wrap to approximately half the gap and then come back to tie in point

DSCN0891.jpg

Now wrap the body...I make two or three wraps on the bare hook below where the thread ends and then wrap all the way up to the tie in point making sure not to pull to hard and keeping everything flush

DSCN0894.jpg

Now tie in the antron and the remaining peacock hurl

DSCN0895.jpg

Make two or three wraps of the hurl, secure and clip off excess, clip off excess antron, whip finish and you are done

DSCN0900.jpg

For those who want to strengthen this fly, a rib can be tied on using fine wire or tippet material...the peacock hurl can also be strengthened by wrapping it around the tying thread and making it into a rope.

Very Nice!!

Cheers...Jeff..

O.K Uber we all have been patiently waiting for your report....don't leave us hangin'

Gary,

I tied a couple of dem dar midges this aft (#18's - which is the smallest I've tied to date, not sure how you even see those #20's!!) Will let you know how they work in the next couple of days!

Cheers

Peter