Fly Fusion Forums

Large Arbour Reels

Rainbow

the obvious advantage is that they pick up slack line a lot quicker...also, large arbours don't coil the line as badly when stored over extended periods of time...

edit...the only disadvantages that i can think of is that they tend to be heavier than standard arbours and usually cost a bit more as well...

Can someone tell me the advantages and disadvantages of large arbour reels.

Thanks

Advantage: Faster retrieve (~11"/revolution vs. 3 " - 4"/revolution) & reduced line memory.

Disadvantage: The amount of backing one can put on the reel (which is relative, I suppose). Cost...

Peter

if u dont think u will need too pick up large amounts of line..you dont really need one...small creeks and whatnot type of fishing...but if u are fishing lakes and larger streams a large arbor os great for that extra bit of line retrieval..most mid arbors and large arbours carry the same amount of backing but compared too small arbours your losing some backing capacity .... but not a whole lot..like others mentioned...they do cost a little more..but IMHO i think they are a must.......