Fly Fusion Forums

How The Heck?!!???!!

troutlover

Here's my story. A couple of years ago i bought a pontoon from the bargain finder and when i went to pick it up the guy asked me if i tie i said "no it's never really interested me" He said "your nuts, let me show you a couple flys i've tied" so we went down to his basement and he showed me some of his ties which were really great and he then told me it was all for sale. He'd had problems with his knees and could no longer fish and if he couldn't fish anymore then he had no desier to tie hed decided to start with wood working. I thought about it and was ready to turn it down but he made the offer of $200 dollars for it all and id be a moron not to take it. So i said sure thinking who knows maybe one day. As i left i thanked him for the great deal on the pontoon and he said the great deal was the tying stuff as he told me the retail value my jaw dropped and i turned red cuz i was a little embrrased not knowing the real value of what he had given me. I thanked him wanted to offer more money but i was already trying to figure out how to explain to my wife the extra $200 dollars id just spent over the $300 i had to beg for to get the pontoon. (he even revealed to me some of his favorite fishing locations). Well, as i have started to frequent the tying section more and more my intrest is finnaly sparked and i think it's time i made good use of this stuff, so what i am asking is there anyone willing to spend a couple nights with me to get me going so i can figure out what the big deal is and why this guy was determained to provide me with a new hobby that he was obviously very pationate about. Thank-you Jared.

don't live in the city unfortunately but feel free to post or PM questions if you have any...... but honestly try slowly taking apart a couple flies once in a while to give you the idea of how many wraps things need, what order parts are applied ect...... its very easy to get started and after that like anything its just a matter of practice...... also there are some good vids and articles on the web that will walk you through various techniques and flies.......

I picked up the "flytiers bible" from chapters when I started, it's been very helpful as it shows alot of techniques you'll need to know, and it has patterns for many beginner ties.

Also, of course, this board is a wealth of tying knowledge. Many questions I've had have already been answered on old threads here.

You should take an introduction course from one of the local shops. I did and my tying has improved big time. Also "Fly Tying Made Clear and Simple by Skip Morris" is an awesome book. Real well done with great illustrations and lots of tips on technique. Good luck.

where are you in the city. i'd be happy to give you a hand.

also, come out to the hook and hackle open house - see special events. there is a beginners tying class

Private lessons from the lady herself.... You would be wise to take her up on that.......... :blink:

youtube has some stuff...including Kelly Galloup tying a Zoo Cougar...Brent, I'll be in to get supplies for the ZC real soon!!

Zoo Cougar (not really a beginners' tie, but interesting to watch):

Fishing it on the Madison:

Decent Deer Hair spinning demo:

Don't mean to hijack the thread or anything.....but I'm sure sorry that I missed Kelly at the Fly Fishing Expo this year...I don't think he was talking streamers though...did anybody see him?