Fly Fusion Forums

How Well Do You Know Your Bow River Trout??

birchy

Earlier this year CDock and I started out at the Deerfoot bridge down by the Southland/Anderson turn off on Deerfoot south. Waded on the west side of the river heading north. Walked up past that LaFarge bridge and about half a kilometer or so past there I was casting out into the middle of the run when I got a hit. This beast just took off downstream as I went stumbling and splashing my way after him through knee deep water with my reel just BUZZING away!! I'm pretty sure I posted a message about it.. something along the lines of "hooked into my first hawg today".. some of you might remember.

Ran about 30 metres downstream and then stopped.. CDock said "is he still there?" to which I replied "i'm not sure". Just felt like dead weight at the end of my line. Gave a good hard tug and felt what I thought was a headshake.. gave another even harder tug and felt a big time headshake and this thing took off again.. cept this time I wasn't expecting it and didn't give him enough and he busted me off!! Sad day.

But... reading about Brownies and how little they move... that they like their spots and if you hook one in a certain spot you'll probably hook him there again another day.. or season. Then I thought about how alot of you know certain trout and have names for them. Got me thinking.. Have any of you guys hooked this same fish before? Have you landed him/her? Is it a brownie or a rainbow??

I'll be going back for this fish this coming year for sure and was just curious what i'm getting myself into. Biggest trout to date was that 24" bully I caught and this fish felt alot bigger!

Guest bigbadbrent

Browns do enjoy sticking around, you can see that just by when you spook a rainbow and a brown that are sitting next to each other. If you wait long enough, the brownie will sneak back into his hole, and not move (i spooked the same brown 4 times before i landed him..twice in one day, and all seperate times) while the rainbows do take off..

I think you've hit a big brown, but you might be having a problem that it is now winter is happening, they've moved to different spots to live through winter, and he might find a new spot to be at...

However, chances are if there was a big fish there, there will be again this year (though this post won't help)

I'm sure i've tagged into a beast where you did, and i know a spot i need to get back to, with the single biggest fish trout i've ever had on absolutely destroyed me. Hooked into him, and he went straight upstream well into my backing, then BAM right back downstream and swung me around a rock, broke me at the nail knot.

Maybe a Burbot too. A buddy of mine hooked one that was over 30 inches long, and the thing wouldn't stop running. He fought it for about 20 minutes before we even saw it, couldn't figure out what it was at first we thought pike, laker, bull, then finally burbot. But it took off again and again, he even handed me the rod to spell him off. I told him to get it closer and I would net it, which we tried, but it was too big for the net. Then it took off to the middle of the river, and busted off. Took the worm too.

In the flood year I caught a monster 27" male pig with a really distinctive toonie-sized healed over scar on his side. I posted a pic on the old FFA forum, and you really couldn't tell where it was from the pics. A few weeks later I ran into a guide who had seen the pic and knew the exact location because he'd caught the fish a few times previously.

The real hogs in the river are not as common as most folks think.

If bowcrow pokes his head in here I'm sure he'll tell you about the big brown they caught 4 times in one winter.

I know the fish (I think) remember seeing me last year (although you did'nt know it was me) in your hole? .. two guys in the big blue double man pontoon boat .. I pounded a monster out of that hole late last summer +/- 25 Brunie with shoulders like a linebacker... trout stick around until they are poached or until something happens to that lie they are holding in that no longer makes it desirable, such as drastic water level/temperature changes, but unless the changes are permanent, more than likely, they will return.

I know the fish (I think) remember seeing me last year (although you did'nt know it was me) in your hole? .. two guys in the big blue double man pontoon boat .. I pounded a monster out of that hole late last summer +/- 25 Brunie with shoulders like a linebacker... trout stick around until they are poached or until something happens to that lie they are holding in that no longer makes it desirable, such as drastic water level/temperature changes, but unless the changes are permanent, more than likely, they will return.

That's right too! Almost forgot about that. Not my hole though.. it's everybody's river. :P

Sweet. Can't wait to go back for him this year!

In the flood year I caught a monster 27" male pig with a really distinctive toonie-sized healed over scar on his side. I posted a pic on the old FFA forum, and you really couldn't tell where it was from the pics. A few weeks later I ran into a guide who had seen the pic and knew the exact location because he'd caught the fish a few times previously.

The real hogs in the river are not as common as most folks think.

If bowcrow pokes his head in here I'm sure he'll tell you about the big brown they caught 4 times in one winter.

Rusty.. Is this him?

http://www.bowriveralberta.com/images/bowriver27.JPG