Fly Fusion Forums

Who Needs $1000's Of Gear

Guest bigbadbrent

There had to be something way wrong with that fish to:

1. Be in 4 ft of water

2. Allow someone to get close enough to take pictures

3. Not get caught the first time and then come back and get caught (if you read the story)

No way that fish was healthy. If it was, there ain't a human on the planet that could hold on to it.

Guest bigbadbrent

Ive netted a 28" bulltrout when i was fishing a pool, and it sidled up right beside me...my dad was killing himself laughing

Story goes like this.

We fish this same pool every year, or at least try to. My dad doesn't like tossing big streamers, so he goes after the cutties that sit at the front of the pool, and when he does, if he doesn't get them in right away and they make it to the end of the pool, usually you get a good chase going on, where i come in. It had taken me a good hour and a half to find the bulls, but they were literally right at the lip of the end of the pool (almost a waterfall kinda thing). I hit a couple in 3 casts, until i landed a 25" that was chased by something bigger and quite fatter. So i changed to the biggest fly i had, and swung it through the back of the pool. BAM the big bastard slams it, fights me for 5 minutes, then bends the hook out on me. I change back to my smallest one and keep swinging and stripping right across the back end, hitting bulls ranging 20-24. Its nearing the end of the day, and my dad has had enough and sits on the side, telling me to hurry up before we go home. I do the obligatory 'last cast' statement, and look to my left before attempting to wade back out, and if it isn't that big bastard less then a foot away from me...my dad says 'brent, lets go its getting dark'...'hold on a sec dad'..I pull off my net, and slowly bring it right behind his tail. Lift Up and Out, and i've got him. Run to the shore to measure him, and 28" of pure muscle, thicker then some of the 30's i've seen.

We got home, and when i woke up the next day my mom says, so i hear you don't even need a rod to catch anything.....my dad wouldn't shut up about it!