Fly Fusion Forums

Cheap Homemade Shanks

bulltrout

How To Create Inexpensive Shanks

Recently I came across a tying solution for articulated flies. The solution came in the form of Waddington Shanks being used for the front portion of some of my larger bull trout and pike flies. Unfortunately, these shanks are somewhat pricey and hard to come by here in Lethbridge. So after much pondering, I thought up this nifty little idea while watching TV on the couch and playing with a couple of my wife's bobby pins that she had left on the coffee table.

Materials

2 bobby pins of same size

Needle Nose Pliers or Wire Cutters

Vise

Thread

Krazy Glue or Sally Hansen's Hard As Nails

Assembly

1. Clip the curled end of both bobby pins with pliers or wire cutters. Be sure to aim away from face and into trash can to avoid injury.

IMGP1746.jpg

2. Slide both bobby pins together so that the smooth shafts are on the outside and the curved shafts are interlocking.

IMGP1749.jpg

3. Wrap thread around bobby pins, carefully at first and then gradually apply more pressure. Cover entire base with thread leaving both "eyelets" open.

IMGP1750.jpg

4. Whip finish twice and clip thread. Apply Krazy Glue or Hard As Nails liberally making sure to coat all thread evenly.

IMGP1752.jpg

5. The finished shank.

IMGP1751.jpg

*NOTE*

When using these shanks, be sure to employ the use of "O" Rings for attaching hooks and to connect to leaders as the bobby pin has a slightly rigid edge.

Have you strength tested them yet? I'd be really interested to see what they'd hold.

strength tested one done with Hard As Nails and one done with Krazy Glue using my weights from my weight bench...the Hard As Nails pulled apart (but not completely) at 26 lbs. and the Krazy Glue at 48 lbs...not exactly a scientific setup but i have confidence in it as i won't be attacked by "horse" flies when using it...as long as your thread wraps are extremely tight (should have mentioned that i was using A+ monocord thread) and the shank gets a thorough soaking, i'm assuming that the crimps in the pins help in holding everything together (not exactly sure)...plus, if i hook a bully at 26 lbs., i'd be more worried about A) getting my feet OUT of the water and B) not soiling my pants...

great idea brother ...send me your mailing address...u need a better flyshop down there

PM sent...

Good call - but I want to use them for monster Chinooks this summer. I think I'll give them a shot though - 50 pound strength is very decent.

let me know how they do as at the most, i'll be hitting 20 lb. pike (hopefully) and maybe a bull around 15 lbs. (if he's still alive), not a 50 lb. salmon... :blink:

maybe...probably no more than other streamer hooks that are not properly dried...whatcha gettin at good doctor? :lol:

Just curious, any time the wife leaves em in the tub they leave a rust pattern. Looks like an excellent Idea though. Must give it a try. I tie on shanks for some of my trout and steelhead patterns.