Fly Fusion Forums

Pine Beetle

Weedy1

Don't think the length of this cold snap is gonna be enough to do it....... One SRD guy told me it takes about 2 weeks of uninterupted -20 weather to kill them. But maybe since its significantly colder then that it will make a difference. Hope so.

You may be right Lone. Late fall and early spring is the best time to have low temperatures. Here's some info

http://www.srd.gov.ab.ca/forests/health/pe...pbfaq.aspx#role

http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/hfp/mountain_pine...cts.htm#weather

thats keeping it positive meng!!! :lol:

i hate them freakin beetles...killin my shangri-la in b.c. :(

That battle. Has been lost. Now if your gov't pulls their heads out of their butts and stops trying idiotic pheromone treatments and put their time and money into burning the damn trees down, they might win. But no, we can't burn precious pine, no, we must flood a depressed housing market with it.

When I was a younger fellow in New Brunswick(some time ago) we couldn't go out after supper because our then government and "knowers of all" were spraying deadly poisons to kill off the people;Opps..Spruce Bud Worm. The Pine Beetle is a greater catastrophe! It will change the face of Western NA to a degree we couldn't possibly conceive.

It was a very sad day for me when I saw and came to the realization that there is absolutely nothing we can do but watch and watch more.

C

The effects of cold wx on the MPB seems a tad contradictory and fuzzy. Still, one has to think one week of cold will at least thin them out some. The standard LD50 process should kick in. i.e. some of the pop should get nailed. Let's hope so.

Assuming -40°C (or whatever) for 6.7 days (or whatever) will kill all MPB, one might assume that something less (say, a range of -25 to -35°C for 8.3 days) will kill a bunch of 'em. (Thus selecting out an even more cold-tolerant genotype?!?!? :lol: Go Darwin!)

Anyway.. yeah this should knock a few on their collective asses. Let's hope so.

it didn't take long for people to capitalize on the destruction check these sites out:

Denim Pine Article

Denim Pine Product Sheet

It also appears that a some people in a sagging forestry industry are making lots of money just getting rid of the infested timber.

And for anyone wondering about the structural tolerance of the "pine beetle" wood check out this drawing of the new speedskating oval for the 2010 Olympics. Those beams are all being constructed from the beetle affected wood. At least that's what they told us when we toured the facility last May.

http://www.richmond.ca/__shared/assets/Ova..._Games16690.jpg

Nothing is more creative than a businessman or an industry with it's back to the wall, just ask any small business that is doing well in spite of Walmart or any of the big box stores...... adapt or die

I realize that this isn't scientific but...

I was under the assumption that these things moved as a pack, munching and killing as they go. If they are sweeping across the mountains, do they stop for winter? It seems from a brief read that they bore into trees and try to wait winter out. Could we not, based on the visible path they have taken, kind of figure out where they are wintering and burn the crap out of them. Surely there must be some sort of Maginot Line we could make and isolate them and set them ablaze... now as they are not moving and won't be for some time. Is it not better to sacrifice a small chunk of the forest to protect the rest?

I know the people on this forum have spent much time in the wilderness and have seen the effects this little bastard can have. I go to Prince George for a few days every summer and it is SHOCKING what these things do. I try to pass on the gospel to as many people as possible, but I can't believe that this is not a bigger news story than it is. These bugs are extremely destructive and I honestly believe they will change the landscape for a long time to come. Here's hoping some kind of solution can be found, 'cause if not, get ready for 40 years of red and grey.

DW

The problem with -25 is that it does not kill them, it raises the level of 'beetle antifreeze' in their bodies so that whenn -40 does get around, they're protected from it. What you need (probably too late now) is a hard snap of -35 or better overnight. not a buildup of cold temps. I'm talking -5 one day to -35 the next. That would do some damage.

Oh, and LOTS and LOTS more woodpeckers. We're gonna need a hunting season on em soon!!!