Fly Fusion Forums

A Lucky Mess?

I've heard many fisherman say that a messy tackle box is lucky, and to clean it would be a jinx. Personally I enjoy organizing my fly box this time of year and re-evaluating everything. Maybe this just reflects the difference between tackle and fly anglers. Any thoughts?

Man if a messy tackle box was lucky I would have caught more fish as a youngster. My ritual was Spring cleaning, you know on the day before the season opened, you sit up at night cleaning old line etc. out of the box and organize it for the first and only time in the season.

Now I find a clean and ordered tackle box allows me to select and change lures easier and quicker than I would be able to with a messy one, sometimes that makes the difference between a couple of fish and a busy day

I've heard many fisherman say that a messy tackle box is lucky, and to clean it would be a jinx. Personally I enjoy organizing my fly box this time of year and re-evaluating everything. Maybe this just reflects the difference between tackle and fly anglers. Any thoughts?

I organize my stuff several times a year, just like I did when I tackle fished. It only takes me 2 or 3 trips for it to turn back into a mess. I think I had to be more organized when I tackle fished because I almost exclusively wade fished and I couldn't bring several hundred lures like I can with flies.

Guest bigbadbrent

I'm messy after that one fish that is huge, but isn't taking what you're giving him.

Your box could be absolutely pristine, and when you see that 26" brown cruising the shallows, you're tossing flies and ripping ones in and out of that box as fast as you can move...rarely do you catch the damn thing though

In the summer months I'm usually too busy fishing to ever get around to organizing my gear. Usually I'll spend one day in the winter organizing boxes, making note of what patterns I need to tie before summer, cleaning out the vest, etc.

I find that "cleaning " my fly boxes and equipment is a great way to alleviate the winter blues. often times it is just moving flies from one box to another or messin around with reel components or organizing my vest. just having the gear and flies in your hands makes a guy think of spring. once i get to spring and actually start fishing all my boxes and vests resort back to their "lucky" state :lol:

Guest bigbadbrent
can get hellish if left too long....

I'm sure a few of us have their 'Pockets of Doom' as i call them. The pocket you quickly launch a fly into when you're too rushed to throw it back in the box...

Cleaning that pocket out sucks, i've had well over 100 flies, all stuck in 2 or 3 big bunny flies..not good

I'd like to see some pictures of those tidy fly boxes.

Dr Bulltrout's boxes are immaculate!!

Maybe he'll pleasure us with a picture...

Is it wrong to get such pleasure outa looking at other peoples Fly boxes...

???