Fly Fusion Forums

Pontoon Boats

Hey guys,

I have been thinking about getting a pontoon boat for awhile now. I have an 11ft aluminum boat that I have not used since the Pleasure craft operator card came out. Plus all the hassle with the trailer/motor/battery or gas and loading/unloading by myself sucks. So I have not fished in many lakes in years as a result.

Now that the streams are so high and I would like to try the lakes again, I think I am missing out.

I am looking at the Water Skeeter Backwater 9. I am 6'2" weighing in at 220lbs, so would this be a good boat for me? I would like to fish lakes like upper and lower kananaskis all the way down to small beaver ponds. I may even try taking it on short hikes into mountain lakes.

I have never used a pontoon boat or a belly boat, so how is the stablity in rougher water? Does a person get very wet in the seat?

I looked at this boat because it seemed middle of the road price wise, should I be looking at higher priced units? I will probably only use it 10 times a year max.

Thanks for the help

Lance

Hey guys,

I have been thinking about getting a pontoon boat for awhile now. I have an 11ft aluminum boat that I have not used since the Pleasure craft operator card came out. Plus all the hassle with the trailer/motor/battery or gas and loading/unloading by myself sucks. So I have not fished in many lakes in years as a result.

Now that the streams are so high and I would like to try the lakes again, I think I am missing out.

I am looking at the Water Skeeter Backwater 9. I am 6'2" weighing in at 220lbs, so would this be a good boat for me? I would like to fish lakes like upper and lower kananaskis all the way down to small beaver ponds. I may even try taking it on short hikes into mountain lakes.

I have never used a pontoon boat or a belly boat, so how is the stablity in rougher water? Does a person get very wet in the seat?

I looked at this boat because it seemed middle of the road price wise, should I be looking at higher priced units? I will probably only use it 10 times a year max.

Thanks for the help

Lance

Lance,

I just bought a Outcast 9 ft. I'm 6'2" as well, and a svelt 190. They are pretty big boats, so hiking very far with it would be pretty tough, IMHO. It weighs like 70 lbs. But they do break down to manageable pieces. As to the rough water, I can't imagine that the waves on K Lakes could get rough enough to roll you, unless the wind was really huge. A 9 ft is plenty suitable for the Bow. The only problem I have found in wind is that you sit so high up that you are basically a wind sock. You have to really work hard to row against heavy wind with the oars. But for the most part, I've been propelling myself with my fins. And if it doesn't rain, you won't get wet at all.

Inflating is pretty quick. I went to K Lakes with MTB. I have a foot pump and he has a doulb acting one. Get the double acting pump.

I've only used mine 3 times, but I really like it. I recommend it very highly.

rickr is right on all counts.

PTs are not for hiking. You need a small u-tube or other suitable small craft for hiking--they are some soft frame mini PTs. However, a framed PT is great device to have. They are great for getting around fast. You sit up high and can see well. Tons of fun. I can't imagine winds so rough as to dump anyone. Sudden high winds, however, could possibly force you to the wrong shore. I am 230 pounds, almost 6 foot and 60 years old. We were at Bullshead last month in gale-force winds--about 50 klicks. Nuts. I rowed down the lake right into the east breeze and it took me a 45 minutes instead of 10 -- but I made it. (Then we waded so it was not too 'mart to take the PTs in the first place.)

rickr is correct ... "basically a wind sock. " They are tossed around in high winds and it is hard to stay the course. Sometimes you get flipped in a circle and the only thing to do is let it carry you around 360° instead of fighting to straighten out. That's rare for sure, but does happen.

The double action pumps work very well and available for about $15 for El Cheapo brands. I've had the El Cheapo for about five years and it works just fine. You can get "brand name" pumps for about $60.

Never sell your car topper. Mine is 35 years old and I rarely use it, but it's handy to have for the odd time I take the grandkids.

Hey Xplorer,

Do you happen to have a 9.9 or 15 horse kicker to go with the boat you don't use much anymore? If you do and you're interested in selling it (motor only) let me know. Thanks.

Remi

I have the Outcast 9 ft as well, and bought it at the FH on sale last year. It wasn't overly expensive (550 I think) and is very stable. It also has a sturdy construction, and you can mount a small trolling moter on it if you want. You sit out of the water in a comfortable seat and I have never gotten wet at all. Make sure you get a pair of long oars, it makes rowing a much less taxing event. Double action pump is a must as well. An anchor should also be shomething to consider.

I wouldn't personally take it out in very windy conditions. I'm not afraid of it tipping, but rather having to row back against the wind.

I have the Outcast 9 ft as well, and bought it at the FH on sale last year. It wasn't overly expensive (550 I think) and is very stable. It also has a sturdy construction, and you can mount a small trolling moter on it if you want. You sit out of the water in a comfortable seat and I have never gotten wet at all. Make sure you get a pair of long oars, it makes rowing a much less taxing event. Double action pump is a must as well. An anchor should also be shomething to consider.

I wouldn't personally take it out in very windy conditions. I'm not afraid of it tipping, but rather having to row back against the wind.

Get a heavy anchor as well. I have an old fluted 5 lb and it would not hold at K-Lakes or at one of the man made lakes in 20K+ wind. Not sure how heavy to go. Suggestions?

I have the outcast 9' as well - handles great in rough water but you can get wet if waves get big enough - I got caught fairly good distance out on Minnewanka when a storm blew in and the wind picked up and the waves were so big (3 ft) I was rocking my prop out of the water every wave (and I had the shaft set deep) which is bad for the motor, so got stuck having to row in and got soaked to my chest (only time I ever got a little scared). I have also run some white water Lottsa 2's and a few class 3's - in class 2 you will get wet above the waist and in class 3 I get wet enough that I bought a wetsuit (or swim shorts) to use instead of waders. The motor has never made me too happy - it takes constant attention to stay in a straight line especially if its a center mount, trolling is a pain, especially when you get a fish on - if you go with a motor look for an offset mount, reaching right behind your back is a pain - I built my own rotating tiller extension myself to ease that problem. that said, the outcast felt unsinkable in class three rapids - sometimes I run a river without a rod just for the fun of it. it can be a real hoot in white water (and the WTF? looks on the whitewater raft guides faces as you fly by them are priceless) - buy comfy flippers - they are essential to controlling your direction when fishing with current or wind although I have gotton by when I forgot them once or twice by just rotating my lower right leg either clockwise or counterclockwise to orient the boat it works pretty good.... surprisingly, when I am on still water without wind I will often not bother with the fins and just use the rotating leg method.

The boat stuffs right into the back of my Dakota nicely, I leave the tailgate open as I have a 6' box but the topper glass still closes fine. I wont hand bomb it more than a couple hundred meters - you'll want a belly for hiking areas. (ps will fit on topper roof if you have your camping gear too, I just roofed mine to cold lake and back)

I bought the crappy tire inflation station - comes with high vol/low pres and a Highpre/low vol battery pumps - takes me about 3 minutes per side to go from emtpy to full and the pump is small enough to carry with on the water. (has a truck plug in if the batts die)

My first anchor (a pyramid) didn't work with a poop so I am still looking for one that works well

I haven't used my motor in 2 years so maybe carefully evaluate whether you will need it of not before rushing out and buying with the boat

ahh what else - oh yeah, get a long handled net and make sure you get some kind of stripping apron - shooting line sucks when its wrapped around your feet LOL

I absolutely love mine and I find I use it weekly at least (ps I never bother letting the air out anymore - I built a block and tackle set up so I can hang it in my car-port)

Explorer I bought a Waterskeeter Fish guide 9ft pontoons and large diamater rated for class 4 water, I use a 10lb down rigger ball for ancorage works for me .This boat is fully rigged with everything . Suggest that you buy the most expensive boat that you can afford your life depends on itGood luck RED

Good point about the long handled net Pipestoneflyguy. I found one at Crappy Tire, a crystal river one that was only 25.00 and does the job perfectly. Just make sure you tie it onto the boat somehow, or you'll be chasing it.