Fly Fusion Forums

Fish On Ice

sirocco

So I've seen several photos lately in the reports sections of fish laying on the ice shelves after being caught. To me it seems dangerous to the fish, since I don't like having my skin put on ice, but is it actually harmful to them?

I try not to take a fish out of water for more than a few seconds at a time when it's below 0. colder than say -8 I would into take a fish out at all (personal choice). Ice can be rough and drop thier body temperature really fast. These are delicate creatures. Use common sense. Better to hold them in the water or a net then slide em out for a quick shot. Their eyes can freeze quick in cold weather.

The pic I posted in the other thread had the fish out of the water for less than 10 seconds. I get the cam ready, lift the fish out, and quickly snap the pic.

Probably better to use a net under them, but if it's very quick I can't see it being a problem.

Low water temperatures are better than high water temps, but long handling times in cold air temperatures have been seen as negative... this is from ice fishing data, air temps can be much lower while sitting on the ice than fly fishing in open water.

In most reports the biggest problem is long handling time and bait being taken deep.

I'm sure putting the fish on ice is bad. Gills and eyes freeze and can cause permenant damage. Plus associated with putting the fish on the ice, is holding it down to remove the hook, picking it up for a picture, plus you still need to hld it in the water to make sure it swims away fine... which is neglected in the cold.

Your best bet in the winter is to leave the fish in the water... its easy to remove most hooks that way, anyways.