Fly Fusion Forums

Big Sticks On The 5th?

headscan

Forgot to add, if anyone else wants to join us and needs directions, just let me know and I'll send you a pm, before I head out in the morning. Bhurt and Wetduck will also be joining the Spey gathering.

There might be folks showing up as early as 8:00am, but I will likely only be there around 9:00-9:30am.

The early morning forecast is for +1C, wind 30km SW, which should put the wind somewhat at our backs. Which in my view, is a good thing for casting and a south wind is often good for fishing.

Yes it was meeting everyone, need to get a couple lines that don't coil up so much in the colder temps here though, what a pain in the butt!!

Colin

I found my AF Delta 7/8 coiled up a fair bit which I found odd since people talk about winter steelheading with them all the time. Odder still was that my same line in a 6/7 did not. Perhaps it's the thicker line on the 7/8? In any event, it was annoying.

-al

web.jpg

From left to right: Bhurt, Max, Cheeler, and PKK.

It was a great time and really helpful to be able to watch other people casting. Whenever I had trouble with my casts I just stopped and watched everyone else for a couple minutes until I figured out what I was doing wrong. Must have been an interesting sight to see seven or eight guys in a row with two handers on the Bow, err, I mean at Spey Beach.

I found my AF Delta 7/8 coiled up a fair bit which I found odd since people talk about winter steelheading with them all the time. Odder still was that my same line in a 6/7 did not. Perhaps it's the thicker line on the 7/8? In any event, it was annoying.

-al

Gonna have to bug Courtney for some Elixirs when he's here, the guys didn't seem to have any problems with them today. By the way I haven't seen so many Beulah rods in one place since I was on the Island :blink:

Colin

Gonna have to bug Courtney for some Elixirs when he's here, the guys didn't seem to have any problems with them today.

True enough, I didn't have any problems with my Elixir coiling today. I don't have anything to compare it to as far as other spey lines, but it was very easy to load and cast as well.

By the way I haven't seen so many Beulah rods in one place since I was on the Island :blink:

Yeah, it was kind of like a Beulah commercial out there. Was there a single Beulah there that didn't originate from Courtney?

My Delta 7/8 can have coiling issues in colder temps, but as Al pointed out, not much of a problem with the Delta 6/7.

I agree that it is likely the difference in diameter between the two line sizes. The AF Ridge running line that I use on my AF Scandinavian heads, works very well in cold temps. The Elixir lines are excellent and even in -10C air temps we had earlier this week, there was virtually no coiling issues.

Gonna have to bug Courtney for some Elixirs when he's here, the guys didn't seem to have any problems with them today. By the way I haven't seen so many Beulah rods in one place since I was on the Island :blink:

Colin

I actually snagged one off of him, I just managed to wreck the running line the night before going out so I did not have a chance to throw it. It looks awesome though. Soon! The Beulah 8/9 13'6 though throws Delta 8/9 pretty well though, I really love the rod.

-al

How did you wreck the running line?? I have lots of these lines in the store with the Snowbee and CND lines. That Beulah 13'6" 8/9 is very sweet. I love the tip action that enables you to delay and use a short stroke to deliver just about every line set-up I have cast.. It especially loves a belly about 45' long.

C

Yes it was great meeting everyone, need to get a couple lines that don't coil up so much in the colder temps here though, what a pain in the butt!!

Colin

Colin,How did the Hardy line work?and the Rios? BTW got the pics of Emily'' you are a lucky man for the time being??!!

C