Fly Fusion Forums

Big Sticks On The 5th?

headscan

Colin,How did the Hardy line work?and the Rios? BTW got the pics of Emily'' you are a lucky man for the time being??!!

C

Hardy running line was like a slinky in the below freezing temp, Outbound was a typical coil as well (didn't do the tie off to bumper trick and stretch before using trick). Perhaps the standing on an ice shelf as opposed to being in the water and having any extra line in the water was a factor as well. the guys using the Elixirs didn't seem to have any problem so i guess its time to change for the winter (still like the Mach 1 salmon in the summer though).

Colin

Hardy running line was like a slinky in the below freezing temp, Outbound was a typical coil as well (didn't do the tie off to bumper trick and stretch before using trick). Perhaps the standing on an ice shelf as opposed to being in the water and having any extra line in the water was a factor as well. the guys using the Elixirs didn't seem to have any problem so i guess its time to change for the winter (still like the Mach 1 salmon in the summer though).

Colin

Be careful with the tie off method. Stretching the line does Two things...it somewhat straightens the coating for a short time but more importnatly it stretches the coating and introduces minute cracks in the lines finish. Even Polyurathane coatings will get damaged. We discovered this during the developements of clear coatings,especially off the beaches of Cape Cod and Vancouver Island in cooler waters. You will see may of these lines now going to a more milky finish. The Snowbee lines are especially nice in the below 10 degree conditions. The Snowbee Pro Staff fisher in Ontario has been having fun in the lower waters with a dry line and weighted fly. Now, I was Ice Fishing in the Cariboo several days ago............Kokanee

Be careful with the tie off method. Stretching the line does Two things...it somewhat straightens the coating for a short time but more importnatly it stretches the coating and introduces minute cracks in the lines finish. Even Polyurathane coatings will get damaged.

Hey its not like I'm trying to pull my truck, just a light stretch of the line. Some tackle shop owner on the island told me about that method. Ice fishing for Kokanee eh? Think I'm gonna have to try for a couple Canadians right now. :P

Colin