Fly Fusion Forums

Question About Underwater Camera's

Guest Rocknbugs

Guest Rocknbugs

Hey whats up all and a Merry Christmas. I recieved a Pentax Optio W30, 7.1 Megapixels, 3X Zoom for X-mas and am looking for some feeback on this particular camera if anyone has one or any knowledge of them, the box says its WATERPROOF on the other hand it says it allows for Pics to be taken 3m below the surface. I know nothing about camera's as a matter of fact this is my very first one. Basically what im asking is, is this a good camera or would I better off exchanging it for another one?

Thx. Rock.

RnB

I have heard nothing but postive feedback about this camera. I have a good digital sony camera but was thinking of buying this model just for taking fishing. I have seen pictures taken underwater and they look great. I think you will be happy with this camera. Maybe someone who has this camera can speak up as I would also be interested!!

Guito

I have the grandfather of the grandfather of that cam - the Optio 43WR. I got it 4 years ago and it's taken over 8,000 fabulous pics. Mine is only rated "water resistant" but I've taken several hundred underwater shots with great results.

One tip about the underwater thing - you can't see the LCD very well, so line it up above the surface then put it in. I always try to take a lot of pics underwater because it seems like only 1 in 10 gets composed properly (totally not the camera's fault).

The only other real underwater cam is that Olympus Stylus, but I haven't heard much about them yet.

Both the Pentax and the Olympus waterproofs are good for we mere fishers. I have been useing them for 4-5 years now and have only had One issue several years ago...I didn't lock the camera and it did leak...but was repaired and it works fine...in fact I do Magazine work with the pictures so that tells you something. Pentax sells a silicone jacket for the Optio camera that assists in greater depths...

When taking pictures with underwater cameras there is a time delay between exposures.....unlike film that is almost instant...once you get by this it gets better.

Good luck and have good fishing

C

PS...in cold weather the lens might condensate on the outside if you have had it underwater...getting the drops of water off the pictures is another issue...I bring along a clean lens cloth at all times

I have the grandfather of the grandfather of that cam - the Optio 43WR.

That is the model I have and what I use to take my fly pics. The marco setting is great.

Like any point-and-shoot, some pics will be so-so and some will be awesome.

PurpleHaze.jpg

MorningElliots.jpg

In general, I've been very happy with it but I've seen other cheaper models take better pictures. However, they aren't water proof. For those of us who prowl the streamside's, its priceless when you take that unexpected 2 second dip, and have to throw away a camera worth $100's.

Guest bigbadbrent

The real "brent" question is, can you back over it with a 2003 civic, and have it survive, as well..my other phone......

any camera that can do that..im buying

PS...in cold weather the lens might condensate on the outside if you have had it underwater...getting the drops of water off the pictures is another issue...I bring along a clean lens cloth at all times

Next time you are in Mountain Equipment Co-op go to the sunglass rack and grab a couple of lens cloth eyeglass bags. Your camera will fit in it and they are free!! Buy something else so you don't look so obvious!!

Rock,

Next time we get out I'll show ya how to use that thing. All you have to do is bring me to where you hooked 20 fish the other day.

Seriously, you'll love the camera. They are super easy to use and their few shortcomings (not much zoom, no viewfinder) are more than offset by its ability to take a dunking and the fun in taking underwater shots.

Great camera .. takes some great pictures as you can see .. the depth of water resistance is limited to 3m because the seals are no designed to hold against a designated pressure .. I'm sure you could take it much deeper than 3 m w/o problems though .. water pressure at that depth is not much .. 9.8 kPa/m or for the Americans 0.43 psi/ft and they don;t specify between fresh or salt water either so.. I'd say the failing point of the seals is well beyond 3m .. my.0.02 .. if your heading diving, just throw it in a zipper baggie ..

hey norm i dont have one but a few friends of mine do and they are great..one thing i liked better was it had a higher "shock" resistant casing comapred too teh pentax..1 metre versus 2 i think or something like that...has a killer macro and all the other functions....both are amazing cameras.........