Fly Fusion Forums

Is Hentry David Thoreau Right?

reevesr1

here's your hug Don. XXX and a kiss for good measure O... now you can be a happy bah humbug :P

i suppose it could be for the challenge, but i like the stories i have at the end of the day. fresh air, the way time doesnt seem to exist, standing arse deep in a cool river on a hot day, picking up rocks, looking at bugs, taking pictures, blue skies and the smell of new spring alder. for me i enjoy everything that goes along with my fishing adventures, not just catching a fish, the most fish or the biggest fish. for me it's just not as important.

if wanted to fish just for the fish. i'd do something overly stupid and pointless and dam a shallow area of the river and use a gill net or the like, get my fish quickly and go home. i'm just saying i wouldnt bother with all the other things.

although out fishing your buddies is kind of cool

Well said Don. It seems that we all agree. "but I fish to catch fish." Yeah me too, I love hanging a difficult trout--and stoopid ones too.

If I could not catch fish, I'd not fish. But if it was only about fish, I'd not fish.

Happy everything!

... and no group hugs!

If I could not catch fish, I'd not fish. But if it was only about fish, I'd not fish.

I think we have it all summed up right there.

It's been written that there are phases of a flyfisherman's evolution. I have my own, have read some slightly differing ones too. But in the end, you end up back at that favorite stream, struggling to tie on a fly in the faded half light of the canyon.... :lol:

I agree with everyone, but will say I can just sit by a body of water and watch things. Sometimes I don't even need a rod to go down to the river. I like to take binoculars and watch the wildlife, if I see some rising fish I put it in the file for future reference. Also I can watch the people I'm with as they fish, it can be very instructional and entertaining. The objective is the fish, but it isn't the result.

Happy Christmas to all and may the coming year find you healthy and able to live your dreams.

I love it all! The preparation the night before, the omelettes i make at 5 a.m. in a dark and quiet house, the turnaround a block from my house when I realize what I've forgotten, the first smoke on the way and a few of my favorite songs showing up on the radio, the scenery on the way and the anticipation of a big fish, the memories of trips gone by at the destitnation of the day, the unpacking of gear at the parking spot and the turnaround 100 yds from my truck when I realize what I've forgotten, the wildlife I see, the flushing gamebirds that scare the s*^t out of me! The bears that leave signs to keep you honest or the ones that actually visit, the song of birds and the clicking of grasshoppers, the circling hawks, the gurgle of a stream, or the lapping waves of a lake, the hatch, the rise, the take (the tug is the drug) the big one that breaks you off, and the trophies you land, the walk back to the truck, feeling half dead and out of breath, the drive home, and the couch and tv at the end of the day. Then falling asleep knowing that you are not another clone, out of touch with where we truly belong, and that we can accomplish something so trivial as tricking a fish, but feel so fullfilled.