Fly Fusion Forums

Bastard Adams Recipe

sirocco

sirocco,

I've always heard that the Bastard Adams is tied with calf tail for the wing, and moose or elk hair for the tail.

So the pattern would be:

hook: dry fly 10-20

thread: 8/0 black (or grey)

wing: calf tail, divided

tail: moose hair

body: grey dubbing

hackle: one grizzly, one brown

The effectiveness of this fly derives from the visibility of the calf tail in comparison with the less visible grizzly hackle tip wings.

But you can substitute anything that is handy. I am partial to white macrame yarn in place of the calf tail.

Good luck,

Michael

Excellent. Thanks Don.

I think I'll be making up some of your yarn indicators with them as well (and your special fly), considering the Nymphing post.

edit: These guys want a fortune to ship to canada. If anyone wants some yarn, I can take a list and we can split the costs. They come in 50 yard bundles. 10 yards will do me for a life time. They have glow in the dark. I'm wondering if they will make good nightime indicators.

I'll let Don comment but I've heard Macrame is the best for making indicators. I don't know what the ones you buy are made of.

Is Phentex a Macrame yarn?

edit: I just did a quick google on Phentex. Its a soft yarn used to knit sweaters and slippers. Macrame is very stiff and is used in weaving. They are worlds apart.

I visited many specialty knitting shops in Calgary looking for it but no one carries it anymore. Its a 70's trend thats no one does anymore.

I think the two are very similar really. I'm referring to the actual material. Phentex is different in that it isn't a rope or cord. Phentex is a three strand twist of the same material but used for knitting. It is tuff as nails and not unlike antron (carpet) yarn. Some fly shops have it on little cards but may not call it Phentex cause You can buy a whole skeen for the same price as the little card they sell. It is outdated for sure but I have managed to collect a huge supply of it from the Sally Ann and such. It used to come in many colors as well. One other thing about it is somewhere along the way they changed the way it is manufactured. The older it is the easier it is to unwind the three strands. I find it difficult to unwind the new yarn that I bought at WalMart. If you try WalMart they may still carry it. Or ask some older ladies if they have some. You might be surprised. I use it for lots of bodies, parachute wing posts, trailing shucks and for strike indicators as it doesn't soak up water(water phobic). Great stuff for hoppers and stimulators. Rick.

Rick,

The denier on Phentex is much finer than some Macrame yarns. Some flower pot holders [where macrame was supposed to be used was really phentex] And the crap you buy @ Walmart is made in China. Not the original stuff @ all.

The macrame store's bonnie braid is what I use. Don't get me wrong. I have a number of colors of Phentex that I use for various things - mostly dubbing.

catch ya'

Don