• pacreseltoro
    • scotfly
    • drbulltrout
    • ggp
    • cheeler
    • ladystrange
    • Din
    • albannachxcuileag

multiple choice poll here so choose as many patterns as you see fit in your voting...special thanks to all that have participated tying and voting thus far...hope to keep you all tying and entertained all winter long...:D

126barnes

asdf.jpg

pacreseltoro

post-1-1196799596.jpg

scotfly

silkcutshrimp-10.jpg

drbulltrout

IMGP1262.jpg

ggp

P1120831steelh.jpg

cheeler

wetfly.JPG

ladystrange

awetlady3.jpg

Din

SoftHackle026.jpg

albannachxcuileag

AlexandraSalmon.jpg

I voted on Cheeler's wet as it has that you know it will catch look about it. Plenty of motion available from the softish hackle and a nice nymphy look when wet as well.

IMO> When looking at wet flies of the types submitted it is easy to make a definition on them as the larger Salmon types were originally designed to show off the tyers ability and also the fact that he could obtain all of those rare and obscure feathers that were only available to the rich that made salmon fishing a sport of the Landed Gentry. When design in salmon flies changed from using endangered feathered species and into the use of the likes of calf tail and buck tail that is when tying opened up to new ideas.

Standard wets as used for trout fishing relied more on mimicry rather than ostentation and therefore were well within the reach of the 'common man' as most trout wet designs came from observation rather than imagination and gave us a wealth of patterns to choose from.

I won't be as blunt as that but I have to agree with drbulltrout. Perhaps in a European manner flies have not evolved in the same direction as they have here. I cannot believe that anyone could think that mimic type or realistic patterns do not come with some imagination involved in the making. Many new materials have come about because of envisionment. This holds true to the alternate use of standard materials as well.

While it is true there are many patterns that come from careful observation, there are just as many that come from a more casual stance. I think what we see more often than not, is the preference of a person, to one or two styles of flies and then we tend to bend our explanations and expectations to suit what we like.

As for Atlantic Classic Patterns, I have to say that perhaps the more ostentacious the pattern the more self-important one could feel, but evolution is inevitable and I think that a lot of that evolution has happened in North America. This is not to say that Europe has been left behind, I believe it has moved in a different direction.

Looking back at the many "traditional" wet fly patterns I see hundreds of them that relied on attractor qualities, there is one in the pictures we are voting on. Married wings which are prevalent in many of the patterns, were done with the same intent as using rare feathers, to show you could. That being said there are attractor qualities to them as much as to many other patterns and there is nothing wrong with how they are designed, or why they are designed. This is obviously my opinion here and I have no favourite patterns. I sort of prefer the patterns that catch fish for whatever reason the fish may come up with for biting it....