Fly Fusion Forums

New Zealand Update Part 3

Glenbow

Hello from Down Under! I am in Cairns, Australia at the moment and it's only 36 C today. A bit warm to say the least. It's been a while since I had access to the internet for any length of time so I have waited until now to post some more.

New Zealand was absolutely gorgeous, with average fish sizes that would astound anyone. The North Island is a fair bit different than the South Island, but both are equally beautiful. I was in the Queenstown area of the S Island in brown trout country. The fish are very wary, and I cannot emphasize enough the importance of stealth. I got a look at an 11 lb brown that took-off as we aproached - my guide had caught him & weighed him 2 weeks before. Talk about a jaw-dropper. They use these cool landing nets here that have a scale in the handle, so you just lift the fish in the net & presto - you know the weight. Very cool, except I didn't feel like dropping another $100 on a net.

I have more pics to post but will do it later. Esleech, the clothes have been awesome, that rain gear really turned out to be a life-saver. Thanks, man. I can't wait to fish NZ again, I think all of you would love it.

BTW, sounds like I'm not missing anything weather wise, try to stay warm!

FishingNZ.jpg

NZRiver.jpg

FishingNZ1.jpg

LunchontheRiver.jpg

IMGP8120.jpg

IMGP8124.jpg

IMGP8128.jpg

IMGP8149.jpg

IMGP8169.jpg

NZLake1.jpg

Awesome Glen simply freakin awesome...... Looks like paradise. Can't wait to seem some aus pics..... I take it those were NZ pics? Anyways enjoy yourself yer not missin much over here. Although there is a riveting global warming discussion goin on...... :D

Take it easy man!

Thanks a lot guys, BTW that brown was by far the smallest fish I caught or even saw on the S island. (of course). My buddy that's with me from Aus doesn't fish & I had the guide give him some lessons on the water - 1/2 hour later he caught and landed a 4lb brown! It's the one in the underwater pic. When we released him he went & hid right behind my boot in the current & we got some pics of him in the water. It was really cool to just watch him for a bit before I stood-up & he split. It's absolutely amazing over there, I wish I had more time there. Talk to you all soon!