Fly Fusion Forums

Spey Forum ?

Hi All

I think it would be a great idea to create a forum dedicated to the spey technique.

I am brand new to it (Gordons Spey Class was my first exposure) and it would be nice to have a place where those with experience can share their knowledge with us newbies, obviously we would be creating a locally relevent reference for others looking at exploring the technique as well.

The spey technique is quietly growing in popularity in this region, as folks experiment with the technique I am seeing its development customize itself to the unique features and characteristics of our watersheds. Other forums exist on other sites but I find they are geared to either steelhead or salmon angling - FFC is the perfect place to have a forum geared towards adapting those techniques to downstream brown and alpine lake variations - think of all those sweet little lakes in our guidebooks that say "not reccomended for flyfishing due to tree/brush choked shorelines" well with this technique you only need 3 ft behind you to cast remarkable distances away. I suspect as the versatility of the technique is explored the popularity of spey will grow. I have a whole list of previously unreachable bully holes that I expect to be hitting with my new set-up and having a forum to discuss successes and failures would be another great feature to this site !

Anyone who may think this is a good idea please post here in support and maybe we can convince Dave to set us up

Thx

A Spey Fishing category would be great and you can count on my contributions. Spey fishing is unique and gaining in popularity. You will see many reports from me this season when things get swinging (pun intended) on the Bow.

Hi Guy's

If you do set up a Spey forum count me in, i will try and help whatever way i can, right now i am back in Scotland and back working on the Spey (going Sea-trout fishing in an hour or so, or when it get dark).

I hope to do another Spey day on the Bow later in the year, but if i can help with a Spey section, more than glad to do so.

Thanks Toolman for looking after me while i was over, hope we can meet up again later in the year.

Thanks Gordon.

Hi Gordon, I'm looking forward to your return to Calgary.

Just want to mention that we are discussing a Spey Section bieng created at FlyFishCalgary and not another seperate forum. Just a place where we can discuss all things Spey and maybe help new Spey Fisherman with any questions, to get them started. That kind of thing.

Spey is huge in BC and Ontario right now. I can see it being a great casting method for some of Alberta's bigger rivers and those boxed in by the greens. It's definatly something we can add if there is some support for it. :)

Spey casts, such as single spey and double spey, are easy to perform on single handed rods. Spey casting with a single hander will give you many advantages when working tight shorelines with little backcasting room.

Of course, nothing beats a two hander, IMO. Better line control, easier casting, longer casts, ability to cast big weight & sinks tips to incredible distances, extra reach when high sticking, better fish fighting ability, a wider variety of lines/tips/leader arrangements, reduced casting stress/ injuries to elbows, wrists, back, greater casting/line control in strong winds and the list of benefits goes on. You won't know what your missing untill you try it.

ps. There are no stupid questions in flyfishing, as they are the same ones we have all asked at one time or another.

Hey Birchy had a paypal mix up with my spey rod so for the last month I have been practising the things I leaned with my one-handers, the techniques are remarkably usefull - been using the snake-roll cast a bunch, and reverse one hand spey as well. I would reccomend Gordon's class even if you don't plan on buying a spey rod (ha ha ha, but you'll be hooked if you do...)

Actually coming into town this aft for a spey line (my guys can't get rio) so I've decided on the airflow multi-tip spey line instead. plan to wet her on the way home.

Spey casts, such as single spey and double spey, are easy to perform on single handed rods. Spey casting with a single hander will give you many advantages when working tight shorelines with little backcasting room.

Of course, nothing beats a two hander, IMO. Better line control, easier casting, longer casts, ability to cast big weight & sinks tips to incredible distances, extra reach when high sticking, better fish fighting ability, a wider variety of lines/tips/leader arrangements, reduced casting stress/ injuries to elbows, wrists, back, greater casting/line control in strong winds and the list of benefits goes on. You won't know what your missing untill you try it.

ps. There are no stupid questions in flyfishing, as they are the same ones we have all asked at one time or another.

I'm using the airflow multi-tip and I love it. Casts like a dream and the multi tip system gives you an awful lot of options.

If the water comes down by the time I get to Calgary I'll be swinging my 10'6' 7wt Beulah switch rod. It casts well as a small steam spey rod or overhead out to about 100'. Unfortunetly when I was out in early December with the 2 hander (13' 8wt) the river was pretty hard (-30) so didn't get a chance to cast it. Spey casting for steelies will probably be the only thing that I will miss about the Island when I move.

Colin

I did find the 67(8) wt Rio multitip in a dusty back corner that Brad Hanson, the rod builder reccomended (my rod is 11'6" 67 wt) - and TM, I did end up with the Flueger 12wt reel for about $160 - the line was $150 and I went with 250 yds of 30 lbs gelspun backing (funny when you consider the rod cost me less than $200 eh) - still tons of room for disattentive reel-in if need be. Got out on the bow for a few hours and sent a few nice casts - the water was a bit to fast and I ended up skating lot so I am heading to Wapta one night to try a little more manageable water. So far I am loving it - still can't determine if I should use the weight compensator sub tip or not - will have to mess around a bit I guess (I think it would be better to figure it out myself instead of asking the builder)

What backing to line knots are you guys using - salesman told me the albright would slip with a big fish - so as a temp I have an albright but I loon UV knotted it for extra strength - I plan to change it to an albright on a bimini twist - just wondering what you guys are doing for this one ?

Also leader-wise I cut the toothy critter portion off one of my Pike leaders and added 3' of 2x tippet (10lbs) - it seemed to lift and roll a clouser no problem at all this weekend - just curious what you guys are running for a leader recipe ?

There are many excellent leaders that you can buy at the local fly shops. I prefer to use tapered nylon leaders for most applications and DC Polyleaders with 2'-4' of tippet added, for sub-surface use, in a few different sink rates. You can also make your own leaders to suit the size of the flys you are casting and the type of leader needed for its application. The heavier the fly, the larger the leader butt needs to be to turn the fly over properly. Some applications, such as in low clear water, may require a longer leader and possibly a Fluro carbon section at the tip. You can customize to your needs, as you did with your pike leader.

I would agree that a spey forum is needed in calgary, and even better not a seperate one. I used to fish alot in bc with the big sticks and think they deserve a place here as well, be more than happy to cast with anyone.

thanks,

lff

Welcome lff and CDone...look forward to seeing you guys out on the Bow. What type of line system are you using, long line, skaggit, scando heads, all of the above?

Greg

I'm tossing Hardy Mach2 salmon line (65ft head) on my 2 hander (Greys GreyFlex M2 13' 9wt) and on my Beulah Switch (10'6" 7/8wt) a Mach2 for spey casts and a Rio Outbound 10wt for overhead.

Colin

Greg,

all of the above for lines, cast many sage rods, scotts, loomis, bruce & walkers but all i own at the moment is the 7136-4 with a shorter tip for skagit lines. but all in all will pick up one of the zaxis 11' this year.

cheers

lff

I did find the 67(8) wt Rio multitip in a dusty back corner that Brad Hanson, the rod builder reccomended (my rod is 11'6" 67 wt) - and TM, I did end up with the Flueger 12wt reel for about $160 - the line was $150 and I went with 250 yds of 30 lbs gelspun backing (funny when you consider the rod cost me less than $200 eh) - still tons of room for disattentive reel-in if need be. Got out on the bow for a few hours and sent a few nice casts - the water was a bit to fast and I ended up skating lot so I am heading to Wapta one night to try a little more manageable water. So far I am loving it - still can't determine if I should use the weight compensator sub tip or not - will have to mess around a bit I guess (I think it would be better to figure it out myself instead of asking the builder)

What backing to line knots are you guys using - salesman told me the albright would slip with a big fish - so as a temp I have an albright but I loon UV knotted it for extra strength - I plan to change it to an albright on a bimini twist - just wondering what you guys are doing for this one ?

Also leader-wise I cut the toothy critter portion off one of my Pike leaders and added 3' of 2x tippet (10lbs) - it seemed to lift and roll a clouser no problem at all this weekend - just curious what you guys are running for a leader recipe ?

My son bought me a Rio Windcutter for Fathers day so I'm anxious to try it out. I like the loop to loop connections and have used the Rio Braided Loops, they are made for the larger Spey lines.

I actually have a number of leader combos depending on how and where I'm fishing.like Toolman I use a tapered leader, about 6 feet of the butt end. I then add 2 - 3 feet of leader material depending if I'm nymphing with droppers or setting up a Czech Nymphing rig. I've been using a furled leader for dries and a straight 3 ft 8 lb for streamers. I'm still experimenting with different rigs.