Fly Fusion Forums

Montana Fly Fishing

PlayDoh

As I said in another thread, I recently read a couple books from Montana Fly anglers and I've seen the brochure pics and heard quite a few good things about the fishing there. However I'm wondering how it compares to Southern AB in regards to fly fishing locations, fish populations, diversity, ect? I know I could 'read all about it' somewhere, but I'm more wondering how different the fishing is from here, where only someone who's fished both could provide.

I plan on going there some day, but I don't have any immediate plans. I would like to know every spot and what to expect so I could plan a long trip, 'Trout Bum' style. ;)

Overcrowded!!! Most of the rivers are very touristy. I didn't enjoy Montana, Colorado or Wyoming (Jackson Hole...I'd shoot myself in the foot before I tried to fish there again) fishing that much. The off season's a little better, as far as crowds are concerned. I didn't find the fishing to be that different from southern Alberta. The main stems of the rivers may be a little bigger but that's about it. The fish...cutts, cuttbows, browns, bows, whitefish...no bulls. There's some nice grayling lakes up really high in the mountains too. There are a lot of "guides" in Montana, Wyoming and Colorado as well. They tend to think they own the water and its only there for their use and that of their clients. If you're looking for world class fishing, go to Idaho...just stay off of Henry's Fork (crowds like you wouldn't believe).

James

I've never found Montana rivers to be crowded, but maybe it's the rivers I've fished or the time of year we've always gone, never been mid summer, always in April,May, June. I found the rivers down there fish somewhat differently than say the Bow.

The Missouri - Great river to float or walk and wade, lots of public access, easy nymphing early on with phenominal dry fly fishing May - June.

Clarkfork - Great floating river, tons of overhanging bushes and trees along the bank make for excellent hopper/dropper fishing with large stoneflies. Pods of large rainbows consistently rising to small dries.

Bitterroot - some good walk and wade access, excellent for floating but can be dangerous if not careful, there are lots of channels, lots of turns, tons of mid river structure, beaver dams, log jams etc where trout will hang out.

Nelson Spring Creek, Depuy's Spring Creek, Armstrong spring creek - for some technical fishing these are great, I would rate Depuy's my favorite, Nelson is great. Armstrong is good to but would have found it crowded if there had been more than 3 of us on the stream that day. Mostly rainbows at these creeks with the odd brown thrown in. Beautiful area! I'll go back and try the Yellowstone, which from pictures I've seen has some very large Brown trout.

Montana, not unlike some parts of Alberta, is a beautiful place and well worth the experience of just going. I've got plans to try out of few more rivers down there namely, Gallatin river and tribs in Yellowstone park, Glacier National park, and perhaps a walk and wade on Rock Creek. Catching an American Cutthroat will be my next goal.

You can see some pics from some of my previous trips a couple of years ago here Montana 2005 and here Paradise Valley

P.S > SanjuanWorm, I think your dreamy too, lol.

It could possibly be the time of year I went. Mostly I fished Montana in the summer but I've also fished it in spring and yes, youre right, there definitely wasn't as many people there in the spring. There are also sections of most of the rivers in Montana that remain open year round...so don't rule out some late fall and early winter fishing.

The Gallatin is a very nice river and the Yellowstone and its' tribs are also nice. But again, inside Yellowstone NP itself, is very touristy and can see good crowds. The scenery is very much like southern Alberta....beautiful!!!

I guess I have a somewhat biased opinion. I cut my teeth on trout fishing in North Georgia, South and North Carolina. Specifically fishing for native brookies (as seen in my avatar) and you have to go above 2,000 ft. to get to them....you don't see many people up there so I was spoiled and got used to it.

James

Do 3.5 million people really fish in Alberta? No and yet some of the rivers can still get crowded. Even a small amount of people that have no manners or respect can make it seem like there are a lot more people than there actually are. The rivers that get a lot of people that fish them are the rivers that are well known. You can fish anywhere without a crowd if you time it right (off season) or know of places that don't get a lot of pressure. If you're willing to pay for it you can fish on private property. There are a lot of people that travel to Montana, Wyoming, Utah, Colorado, etc...because the rivers are well publicised and touristed. All I was saying, is that in my experience, the rivers that I have fished have seemed crowded to me. Maybe that's cause I'm used to fishing with almost no one around or maybe it's because of that rude minority. Sorry for stating my perception and opinion.

James

James, I grew up fishing on the East coast for brookies as well. I also lived in South Florida a couple of years before moving to Alberta, my only regret is not making it back into the Carolina's, it looked awesome, unfortunately my plan for American citizenship got squashed.

Snakeman, remember there are 330 million Americans compared to 33 Million Canadians so your answer could be a resounding yes during the tourist months as James has said.

Cheers.

HIJACK...........

H2O,

I lived in Florida for 10 years...going back in January with the 8wt and hopefully I'll get a few reds and maybe a baby tarpon or two.

Just had to say that I sure do miss those little brookies. The Carolinas and Rabun county, Georgia have some amazing trout fishing and some amazing brookie fishing as well. I sure do miss it!!!!

James

Snakeman, remember there are 330 million Americans compared to 33 Million Canadians so your answer could be a resounding yes during the tourist months as James has said.

Cheers.

Good point.

Sorry if the tone of my prior post seemed confrontational, JMasson :)

Check this link out

Yellowstone Anglers

It's by the same guys who did that 5 weight rod comparison last year. Lots of info on Montana Streams.

Go watch River runs through it again haha Look for landmarks wink.gif

It's way too early in the winter to be planning a new adventure, this sucks.