Fly Fusion Forums

Join Bow River Trout - Support The Bow River Fishery

We have recently registered Bow River Trout under Alberta's Societies Act, as the Bow River Trout Foundation. This will allow for more engagement on fishery related issues with government and NGO's in support of the Bow River Fishery. Go to the following link for a review of our mandate, objectives and initiatives.

Giver consideration to joining our organization, your voice will be listened to in our development of advocacy policy.

And as a member you will also get a chance to win a Pieroway custom designed 9'- 6wt fly rod!

https://bowrivertrout.org/2017/05/11/join-bow-river-trout-support-the-bow-river-fishery/

Responding to UberFly:

Bow River Trout is primary and advocacy organization for the Bow River fishery. The fishery has come under pressure from limited regulation enforcement, little to no commitment to river access improvements and a general deterioration in its appeal as a world class fishing destination.

BRT has accomplished more in 12 months that other organization who claim to support the Bow River and its fish have done in a decade.

Our achievements to date are well documented:

• BRT stakeholder engagement with the City of Calgary resulted in a River Access Strategy with a $7.6 Million commitment to 2 new boats ramps by 2018 and more in the future. We expect the same from discussions with AEP for the entire Bow River Basin.
  • BRT has established a positive level of communication with Calgary and Provincial agencies to communicate river flow forecasts, instream riverbed mitigation work to the angling community by way of regular updates and advisories on our website and social media outlets.
  • Our advocacy role to enhance engagement with government authorities has only just started, but will have a big payday in the future.

As we move forward the fishing community will see opportunities within BRT to volunteer and fundraise to support much needed improvement to river access, recreational infrastructure and hopefully a Bow River basin recreational management plan that will assure there is a world class fishery for future generations.

None of this is possible without community support. Bow River Trout is a totally volunteer organization.

All funds raised will be returned to the Bow River and the fishery.No other organization can claim the same.

• Like 2

Though I don't fish the Bow anymore near as much as I'd like, I am all for putting my money and muscle where my mouth is. I will be in line to volunteer. People take the river for granted. I know that now more than ever. I like that this all goes back to the fishery, and half of it isn't eaten up by various administration and other costs.

👍👍

Thanks for clarifying!

Responding to UberFly:

Bow River Trout is primary and advocacy organization for the Bow River fishery. The fishery has come under pressure from limited regulation enforcement, little to no commitment to river access improvements and a general deterioration in its appeal as a world class fishing destination.

BRT has accomplished more in 12 months that other organization who claim to support the Bow River and its fish have done in a decade.

Our achievements to date are well documented:

• BRT stakeholder engagement with the City of Calgary resulted in a River Access Strategy with a $7.6 Million commitment to 2 new boats ramps by 2018 and more in the future. We expect the same from discussions with AEP for the entire Bow River Basin.
  • BRT has established a positive level of communication with Calgary and Provincial agencies to communicate river flow forecasts, instream riverbed mitigation work to the angling community by way of regular updates and advisories on our website and social media outlets.
  • Our advocacy role to enhance engagement with government authorities has only just started, but will have a big payday in the future.
As we move forward the fishing community will see opportunities within BRT to volunteer and fundraise to support much needed improvement to river access, recreational infrastructure and hopefully a Bow River basin recreational management plan that will assure there is a world class fishery for future generations.

None of this is possible without community support. Bow River Trout is a totally volunteer organization.

All funds raised will be returned to the Bow River and the fishery.No other organization can claim the same.

Peter, I congratulate you on all of your work - you and I have worked together on these initiatives over the last year and your drive and passion is making a lot of this possible.

With that being said, I take a lot of offense to this comment in particular. The Bow River Chapter of TUC has been incredible active over the last number of years.

Some of our projects over the last while include:

• Fish Creek Rainbow Trout Redd Surveys
  • Bow River Brown Trout Redd Surveys
  • Habitat projects on Legacy Island
  • Habitat projects around Bridge 9 in Fish Creek Park
  • Various levels of advocacy and feedback through The City of Calgary, AEP, DFO, etc

That's just to name a few. This isn't a zero-sum game. It is entirely possible for various organizations to compliment each other's work to further our collective interest in the river. The comment I have quoted is entirely unhelpful.

• Like 5

Jordan:

The volunteer work that the Bow River Chapter has done to enhance fish habitat, conservation and protecting the ecosystem of the Bow River is very commendable and is supported by our organization. The projects you have listed are predominately volunteer initiates with relatively low levels of financial commitment. Our focus is different.

As I have stated above, Bow River Trout Foundation's focus is the Bow River fishery in its entirety, its access, its future as a sports fishery and its integration into recreational river management for all river users. The scope of our initiatives and support needed is far broader than what has been made available in the past. There is no doubt that we will work with any, and all organization that have a objective similar to our own. The Bow River Chapter of TU as well.

Jordan:

The volunteer work that the Bow River Chapter has done to enhance fish habitat, conservation and protecting the ecosystem of the Bow River is very commendable and is supported by our organization. The projects you have listed are predominately volunteer initiates with relatively low levels of financial commitment. Our focus is different.

As I have stated above, Bow River Trout Foundation's focus is the Bow River fishery in its entirety, its access, its future as a sports fishery and its integration into recreational river management for all river users. The scope of our initiatives and support needed is far broader than what has been made available in the past. There is no doubt that we will work with any, and all organization that have a objective similar to our own. The Bow River Chapter of TU as well.

A fair response, but that doesn't line up with your original comment. Fish habitat work is just as much (or probably more) about supporting a strong fishery than advocating for boat launches. Our "claim" to support the Bow River fishery is backed up by our list of achievements. I'd advise being more deliberate in your communications as not to alienate other groups that are doing great work.

• 1 month later...

The debate continues on other pages about the impact of whirling disease, highwood logging, water flows & quality and population dynamics for a sustainable Bow River fishery. The Bow River Trout Foundation will be your advocacy voice for the protection of the fishery.

Join Bow River Trout by July 01, 2017 and your name will be put in a pot for a Pieroway 9ft.-6wt rod

https://bowrivertrout.org/2017/05/11/join-bow-river-trout-support-the-bow-river-fishery/

Riverpost-8268-0-00074700-1498833256_thumb.jpg

• Like 1