Fly Fusion Forums

Just A Question About 3wt Or 4wt

JONJON

Howdy, I think i'm ready to move up from the low end and take the next step and buy a nice 3wt or 4wt for i hope to be doing a lot of smaller stream fishing this year..(fingers crossed) My question is what is the next step? right now all i have is 6wt that i got from wholesale, not bad, but i dont no better. Anyone know what's a good 3/4wt combo for around $300 dollar that my wife can get me for Xmas.. I've been to all of the stores in calgary and have a good idea, but someone other than the sales would be nice... wj

Guest bigbadbrent

Not quite a combo, but if you can get a Scott A2, you'll be set. An absolute gorgeous rod, and a true trout bum's rod. They retail for 300ish depending where u go, and are some of the nicest small rods i've ever seen (3 wts are amazing in that model)

Other then that, I'd recommend a Sage FLi outfit

You including line for $300? If so you're limiting the rod price to ~$200, which is tough.

My advice would be to spend as much as possible on the rod. If you say $300 for the rod instead of the combo, you get into the low end of the high end (Sage FLi, etc). If you start looking at Sage VPS or VPS-Ls, you get into what I would call "top-end" rods. This is where you'll start seeing the real difference between made-in-korea junk and a quality rod. You're getting into the $350-400+ range for just the rod though.

Brent's recommendation on the Scott is good too - I don't have experience with that model but Scott makes top-shelf rods.

It may sound silly that we're saying $300 is "not enough", but the difference between a $300 rod and a $500 rod is way more than the difference between a $50 rod and a $300 rod.

If you already have a #6 and you like the small-water thing, step up to a really good 8' #3 or #4.

I support local shops like crazy, but you can save at least $100 on that rod right now buying it on Ebay. Most stock in local stores was bought with an 80 cent dollar.

Guest bigbadbrent

TFO is a great brand for their price....i own 3 tfos, 1 sage..and am getting more sages,

How long have you been fishing, how would you evaluate your level, beginner, or what?

Hey BBB is the scott that yer talkin about the one that did so awesome in that recent magazine review? Don't know if you know which one I am talking about or not but if it is the same rod that particular article raved about it...... Supposed to be one of the best.... beat out the sage in the competition as well. I will see if i can find the mag again and post the info..... Won't be till tommorrow pm sometime......

Guest bigbadbrent

I believe the one in the magazine was the G2..that runs a little more round 600+ish

they're pretty remarkable rods, absolutely gorgeous, and super light

TFO is a great brand for their price..but it is a rod that you get what you paid for..i own 3 tfos, 1 sage..and am getting more sages, not more tfo's if that tells you anything..

How long have you been fishing, how would you evaluate your level, beginner, or what?

CDock and I were talking about this earlier in the year. That eventually we'd probably get a really nice high quality setup with our most heavily used rod.. a nice Sage with a good high quality reel, and have the TFO's for the "less used" rods..

Guest bigbadbrent

Exactly.

Once i get my Z-axis in, it will likely only be fishing for the bow and the oldman, other then that, i'll keep using my TFO CR-X everywhere else.

I believe the one in the magazine was the G2..that runs a little more round 600+ish

they're pretty remarkable rods, absolutely gorgeous, and super light

I read a review that compared several rods last year, the G2 scored close to the top in accuracy, finesse, casting distance and a couple other technical areas but scored low cosmetically. I already owned a Scott V2 and wanted a higher end Scott so I bought a G2 blank 5wt and a friend of mine built me the rod with custom components including an agate 1st guide. It is now my favorite rod. But the action is way different than any of the Sages I own, alot slower which I really like as you really have that "connected" feel with the line when casting. The blank was around 300 and then another couple hundred for the components. Picture below.

As for a 3wt/4wt I'd agree that you shouldn't be concerned about the reel for christmas and focus on a better rod. I've got a 7 1/2 foot Sage VPS-light 3wt that is great for small streams. After christmas you can't go wrong with a Teton Tioga 3wt reel for a little over 100 bucks maybe less if you find one on Ebay or similar.

Golden1.jpg

Guest bigbadbrent

I think they're gorgeous casting, and pretty damn good looking (in my mind anyway....and far better looking then most scotts, which aren't exactly the most gorgeous set of rods)...Reason they look a little wierd, is they're naturally finished, just so the company could better control the type of rod they're producing (and of course, its Scott, so all hand made anyway)

That's a beauty rod H20....love the cork. And they are quite slow, almost a full action rod, even though they call them medium action

Lots of the G2's come with cork reel seats, which im not too sure about, i'd rather have the regular one.

Tioga's are great. Ross flycast would also be a decent reel to get, bout 90 bucks

It is now my favorite rod. But the action is way different than any of the Sages I own, alot slower which I really like as you really have that "connected" feel with the line when casting.

That looks like a real sweet rod, Harry. I love the handle. I used to think I needed a fast action rod to get the distance but I'm slowly learning to appreciate slow action rods. You will have to let me take that baby for a spin one day. ;)

Here is how it all went down, One fine morning i went to work and got a unexpected Xmas Bonus and to bet it all it was alot more than i thought i was going to get but didnt think i was going to get(strange work game) Anyway that same day i came home with a 4wt sage lauch 8foot and a tioga reel. I think this is a very big step up for me. You guy's are great with all of youre helping ways. How did i do on the choices? Also the choices of fly line is the next question i was hopping to get some input on, i know i could search and see, but it makes me feel good the people are reading this for i am not the most skilled typer...Also found out it's a crime to practise casting in the living room, and $300 plus dollars at the fly store means a trip to the mall no bitching and no time constraints.. go figure 1.5 hours in ZARA waiting.. it was neat...