Fly Fusion Forums

Mouse Attempt

Din

heres a couple mice i tied. first two attempts. tried to stack the white hair to make eyes but didnt turn out the way id hoped. also the tails are just chenille and will fall apart pretty easy. oh and these are just baby mice... :huh:

gotta say spinning hair is alot more fun then wrapping BAW's.....

MickeyMinney10.jpg

A Bic pen with the insert out of it makes a great packing tool.

Yeah rusty is correct..a Bic is great. See below .. posted previously in another thread. Also as noted, you want the hair packed real tight. Spin. Pack. Spin. Pack...maybe up to five or more times for a mouse.

post-229-1186968449.jpg

Yeah rusty is correct..a Bic is great. See below .. posted previously in another thread. Also as noted, you want the hair packed real tight. Spin. Pack. Spin. Pack...maybe up to five or more times for a mouse.

post-229-1186968449.jpg

If your doing it right, the first thing that will come to mind is...what a friggin waste of hair...spinin' Caribou for Bombers was my first disipline for tying..not as tricky as some stuff..but, the shaping can be less forgiving..take your time with the sissors...

Right on thanks for the tips everyone. I am unsure how much hair to spin at once, but i guess if you use just a little you will maybe get a fuller effect in the end? Will have to try the bic pen, was just using my fingers to pack it as best I could.

Right on thanks for the tips everyone. I am unsure how much hair to spin at once, but i guess if you use just a little you will maybe get a fuller effect in the end? Will have to try the bic pen, was just using my fingers to pack it as best I could.

your fullness will come from how tight you pack it, I use the middle/lower section of the hairs as they are more ridged, pack tight & start trimming, you'll be suprised on how dense you can get that mouse, it'll float like wood..

your fullness will come from how tight you pack it, I use the middle/lower section of the hairs as they are more ridged, pack tight & start trimming, you'll be suprised on how dense you can get that mouse, it'll float like wood..

ok thanks brownstone.

It's important to remember to support the hook/hair when you're packing it.

Like this, taken from an sbs I did on the irresistible.

Start making the spun body. After a couple of bunches of hair have been spun you should pack the hair. You can use your fingers, but I think a “brassie” is better. Don’t forget to grip the tail end, you need something to pack against and if you don’t you will push the dressing round the bend.

irrisistable-1.jpg

You might find this sbs useful too.

http://ukflydressing.proboards83.com/index...read=1185695506

It's important to remember to support the hook/hair when you're packing it.

Like this, taken from an sbs I did on the irresistible.

Start making the spun body. After a couple of bunches of hair have been spun you should pack the hair. You can use your fingers, but I think a “brassie” is better. Don’t forget to grip the tail end, you need something to pack against and if you don’t you will push the dressing round the bend.

You might find this sbs useful too.

http://ukflydressing.proboards83.com/index...read=1185695506

thanks for the help and site!

nice, just a little better then what I had done :P

what are you using for the tail drbt?

Din

It looks like DBT is using some scrap leather pieces.

btw DBT nice looking fly

alright heres another go. used some foam for the tail this time. tried to pack the hair tighter. used about double the hair what I did the 1st couple times. still think it could be tighter but hopefully it will come with some more practice...

MickeyMinney2ndattempt003.jpg

Guest bigbadbrent
ya dude, im in. thats why i tried tying them. saves myself about 5$ each mouse....

haha, yeah definitly

I'll try some frogs when i get my next paycheck, or over christmas

Wow. Those are some really good looking mice from everyone.

Has anyone seen the The Angler's Art episode where they tie up a mouse. He doesn't spin the hair, he just holds it on top and doesn't let it spin. He controls the shape of the mouse by the length of hair before he ties it down, therefore, he doesn't have to shape it at all (but he does pack it as he goes). I tied a few up myself, using his method, and they look pretty good. No ears or eyes, so they aren't as pretty as these, but I think those parts are superfluous anyway.

Elastic is a great idea for a tail. It would move like crazy. Since you can't imitate madly kicking legs, a frantic tail is necessary.

Do Browns on the Bow actually go for these? I tied mine up for pike.

for the tail and ears, i just trimmed the hair off a zonker rabbit strip (and then use the dubbing for some tarantulas)...as for the razor, i usually use the double sided razors (for this, i cut the razor in half with some heavy duty tin snips, thus avoiding injury)...as well, the double sided razors are flexible so with some practice, you can bend the razor and do one smooth rounded shape rather than slowly wittling down the fly with scissors...personal preference i guess...on a side note, i store my razors in one of those magnetic paper clip holders for safety as well...i love using these mice patterns cuz they are easy to tie, and they work on the big trout (especially those that reside next to ranchlands and farms)... :)

Guest bigbadbrent
Wow. Those are some really good looking mice from everyone.

Has anyone seen the The Angler's Art episode where they tie up a mouse. He doesn't spin the hair, he just holds it on top and doesn't let it spin. He controls the shape of the mouse by the length of hair before he ties it down, therefore, he doesn't have to shape it at all (but he does pack it as he goes). I tied a few up myself, using his method, and they look pretty good. No ears or eyes, so they aren't as pretty as these, but I think those parts are superfluous anyway.

Elastic is a great idea for a tail. It would move like crazy. Since you can't imitate madly kicking legs, a frantic tail is necessary.

Do Browns on the Bow actually go for these? I tied mine up for pike.

Ya browns will. I've seen pictures out of lakes, where a guy brought home a 20" rainbow, opened it up and it was FULL of mice

in alberta, that is

Ya browns will. I've seen pictures out of lakes, where a guy brought home a 20" rainbow, opened it up and it was FULL of mice

cant remember which trout bum diary its on but a guy used it too....after seeing them big browns chase it down ive been wanting to try em...