Fly Fusion Forums

Mexico Fishing License Inquiry

ÜberFly

We will be on a sea kayaking trip down in Baja and plan on fishing both from the kayak and from shore. Even though on previous (guided) trips we have never purchased a license, per se (presume the guide takes care of this) our outfitter states that we will be required to purchase one. From my research, The regs state that if you are fishing from shore you do not require a license, but fishing from a boat you do... Is a kayak considered a boat (technically yes, though not a guided commercial vessel)... Do we Require one or not?! Considering we will most likely do mostly shore fishing.

Anyone have specific info to share to clarify ( before I attempt to contact the appropriate office if need be)...

Thanks,

Peter

Hey Peter, In all my trips to the Baja, Ascension, Isla Blanca, Boca Paila both guided and DIY I have never had to buy a license and even when I have asked I have been told it is not necessary. I will be buying for the Bahamas this year for the first time for flats fishing. I can not speak for open Ocean trips as I have not done that type of fishing. Sorry I could not give you a definitive answer

I fish off shore down at Zihuatanejo MX each year and have never needed a license. But what was interesting last December was the Coast Guard came over to our boat to check thing out. The captain and mate were very concerned with the inspection of their licenses and asked me to be prepared to show my passport. Although I do carry my passport with me at all time when in less secure countries, this request surprised me at first. Later I realized we were offshore almost 40 Km and the Coastguard was probably more concerns with drug running than fishing!. Nevertheless it is advisable to carry some ID with you when off shore.

Peter,

A couple of the shop guys were down in December to La Paz and they ran into the issue of needing a fishing license even to go out with a guide. Typically the guide takes care of the license as it is part of you trip fee for the day but the season was slow when they were there so the guides said they needed to look after it them selves. I have also spoken to a couple of other customers since who were down and they both said you needed a license. Here is the website that you can use for the Baja license. Not expensive at all. Good luck down there.

David

Price per Person per Day

$ 10.02 USD

Price per Person per Week

$ 19.66 USD

Price per Person per Month

$ 27.67 USD

Price per Person per Year

$ 35.69 USD

Thanks Dave,

I have that link already. I have contacted them as well, just for clarity haven't heard back.

Cheers,

P

Peter,
A couple of the shop guys were down in December to La Paz and they ran into the issue of needing a fishing license even to go out with a guide. Typically the guide takes care of the license as it is part of you trip fee for the day but the season was slow when they were there so the guides said they needed to look after it them selves. I have also spoken to a couple of other customers since who were down and they both said you needed a license. Here is the website that you can use for the Baja license. Not expensive at all. Good luck down there.
David
Price per Person per Day
$ 10.02 USD
Price per Person per Week
$ 19.66 USD
Price per Person per Month
$ 27.67 USD
Price per Person per Year
$ 35.69 USD