Fly Fusion Forums

Loomis Metolius Trout Spey

headscan

Welcome Islandguy (Courtney)...

Let's talk more about the Snowbee Heads you mentioned recently. Are you meaning the 1D-4D series?

Greg

http://www.snowbee.co.uk/page23.html#3dscan

Many companies have shooting heads that you can buy and attach to various running lines to your choosing. These head are typically sold in 45'-50' whereas you deside the length you need and cut that length.... The 1D(51'),2D (62'),3D (73') and the 4D a massive 84' are designed for more of the traditional casts but do have a shooting /running line combination. For example,with the 1D line it is designed for situations where you have little room behind you,the line allows you to create a short D/V loop behind you that loads the rod well and provides you with the ability to complete a forward stroke propelling your line out well into the running line.The running line creates less resistence when slideing through the eyes and consequently delivers greater distance. My favorites are the Scandanavian style shooting lines...45' heads...but there is a distinch disadvantage in these types of lines for a long distance mend,it can not happen...you can't mend running line. We are told it is not about distance??!! Then why are the fish always on the other side?

C

You fly fishers are very lucky in your area with fairly wide open rivers that are not super deep and fast. There are many great Spey lines on the Market that are seriously overlooked here in the Pacific North West and in fact ,especially in fact throughout our brothers range south of the 49th. Snowbee,Hardy,Carron,Partridge,Air Flo and a few other "european" line brands have lines specifically designed with various lengths of "Sink Tips" integrated into the line;making these lines very sweet good lines to cast and especially fish well. I can only imagine the degree of enjoyment in fishing a wide river like the Bow one of these lines that enable me to fish within the top 24" to 30" at will. The Rivers of Eastern Canada,UK and even the Great Lakes region have such rivers as well that could fish extremely well with these lines.

In the next few years we will be seeing the"NA Line manufactures" bringing these on line. Cortland did introduce a few lines that crashed..next time

C

Thanks I.G....Have you used the Snowbee sinking shooting heads often? I fish the Bow River using floating Scandi heads & poly leaders or a Delta multi tip and sometimes in the summer I use a long belly (XLT). I am interested in using dual density heads this winter for the castability in confined quarters, getting the fly to a controlled depth and getting a nice slooooow swing/lift. Short shooting heads are very usefull for me when walking and wade speyfishing along the Bow, as there are many beats that I like to fish which are tight to the shoreline. The trout can sometimes be very spooky and I like to keep my feet out of the water as much as possible. I like the floating Scandi heads with sinking polytips, but I am looking forward to learning how to use the sinking heads effectively. And yes we are certainly lucky to have the Bow river, no doubt about it. I look forward to casting a Beulah

11'6" 5/6/7 at the show.

Thanks I.G....Have you used the Snowbee sinking shooting heads often? I fish the Bow River using floating Scandi heads & poly leaders or a Delta multi tip and sometimes in the summer I use a long belly (XLT). I am interested in using dual density heads this winter for the castability in confined quarters, getting the fly to a controlled depth and getting a nice slooooow swing/lift. Short shooting heads are very usefull for me when walking and wade speyfishing along the Bow, as there are many beats that I like to fish which are tight to the shoreline. The trout can sometimes be very spooky and I like to keep my feet out of the water as much as possible. I like the floating Scandi heads with sinking polytips, but I am looking forward to learning how to use the sinking heads effectively. And yes we are certainly lucky to have the Bow river, no doubt about it. I look forward to casting a Beulah

11'6" 5/6/7 at the show.

you don't really want to cast that rod..I personally don't have One and will get CDone (if he will)build mine for me....my wife has One and rarely lets it out of sight incase I am about..Damnit!I have used those shooting head and others Ie: Loop,Air Flo and Hardy. If it's distance you want then that is a great way to go...the running lines can be very slick and offer little resistence through the eyes. On the Lower Dean River in BC I use Shooting heads a lot because the distance is about 140' and mending the line is of little concern...Unlike the Thompson where mending the line is a benefit..water clarity is really an issue between both those great Rivers.

What I really like about the Shooting Heads you mentioned is that they come in gram weights corresponding to rod weights,for example a 20 gram(308.64 grains-divide grams by .0648) is rated or recommended for a 6/7 Two Handed rod. They go all the way up to an 11/12 or 48 gram line...wow;incredible versatility.However,these heads have distinct fron tapers for both single and two handed uses. Voila..keep it simple

C

you don't really want to cast that rod..I personally don't have One and will get CDone (if he will)build mine for me....my wife has One and rarely lets it out of sight incase I am about..Damnit!I have used those shooting head and others Ie: Loop,Air Flo and Hardy. If it's distance you want then that is a great way to go...the running lines can be very slick and offer little resistence through the eyes. On the Lower Dean River in BC I use Shooting heads a lot because the distance is about 140' and mending the line is of little concern...Unlike the Thompson where mending the line is a benefit..water clarity is really an issue between both those great Rivers.

What I really like about the Shooting Heads you mentioned is that they come in gram weights corresponding to rod weights,for example a 20 gram(308.64 grains-divide grams by .0648) is rated or recommended for a 6/7 Two Handed rod. They go all the way up to an 11/12 or 48 gram line...wow;incredible versatility.However,these heads have distinct fron tapers for both single and two handed uses. Voila..keep it simple

C

If you get the blank to me quick enough I could get it done before the show, only 2 rods on the go at the moment plus a 10'6 4/5 Switch for myself. That Sage is going in the mail tomorrow.

Colin

If you get the blank to me quick enough I could get it done before the show, only 2 rods on the go at the moment plus a 10'6 4/5 Switch for myself. That Sage is going in the mail tomorrow.

Colin

Oh...Oh...it's like Xmas...very soon

C