Fly Fusion Forums

Loomis Metolius Trout Spey

headscan

I'm looking for a bit of feedback about this rod. I'm looking around for my first spey rod that will be used primarily on the Bow. According to the Loomis site this is a medium action rod. My understanding is that a stiffer rod will produce tighter loops and greater distance but is far less forgiving.

Any opinions? Should I be looking at an entirely different rod? There are a few others I've looked at, but most of them aren't available locally...

forgot to mention this site in my last PM...... great site and after a bit of searching I managed to find a bit of info on this rod..... sign on and dig around a bit. Some of these guys are super helpful as well...... Like I said before I like my metolius but I have in truth used it very little so far...... But I would have used it more if I had not been so damn busy lately

edit in duh gotta post the link http://www.speypages.com/speyclave/index.php

The Metolious is a terrific trout spey that also makes a great summer steelhead rod as well. I fished one for about a month this year and Max also owns one that he loves. Great rod. That said, the TFO 12'6" 5/6 wt. Deer Creek is also a great rod and maybe a bit easier to fish with, in tight quarters. One of my favorite Bow river rods is the TFO 12"6' 6wt. Pro series with a Scandianvian shooting head or Delta multi tip line. Another great option to consider is the 12'6" 6wt. Sage z-axis. All great rods for troutspey fishing. Give them all the wiggle test at the local shops and try and come out and cast a few rods the next time the guys here at FFC are getting together for a bit of Spey casting, when the next chinook hits. You can give these rods and many others, a test cast or two. Also, there will be many new two handers to test cast at the Flyfishing Expo at the end of January.

It is not necessary to have a live line to test cast a two handed rod. A simple frontal anchor on the water will provide sufficient line stick to load the rod to form a D loop. I think we will see a few Beulah rods and the new Dec Hogan Echo rods as well, at least I'm hoping. I'm making a few inquiry's to find out who is coming and to encourage them to bring lots of rods, lines, reels ect.

Do you know who's bringing 2 handers to the show......or how a lack of running water will really show you spey casting

I emailed Rajeff Sports to see if they're bringing any Echo Speys to the show. Heard a lot of good things about them on Speypages.

Might be worth emailing a few of the other rod manufacturers that are confirmed exhibitors at the show to see if they're bringing spey rods with them. If they think there's interest they'll probably bring a few at least.

The Metolious is a terrific trout spey that also makes a great summer steelhead rod as well. I fished one for about a month this year and Max also owns one that he loves. Great rod. That said, the TFO 12'6" 5/6 wt. Deer Creek is also a great rod and maybe a bit easier to fish with, in tight quarters. One of my favorite Bow river rods is the TFO 12"6' 6wt. Pro series with a Scandianvian shooting head or Delta multi tip line. Another great option to consider is the 12'6" 6wt. Sage z-axis. All great rods for troutspey fishing. Give them all the wiggle test at the local shops and try and come out and cast a few rods the next time the guys here at FFC are getting together for a bit of Spey casting, when the next chinook hits. You can and give these rods and many others, at test cast or two. Also, there will be many new two handers to test cast at the Flyfishing Expo at the end of January.

Yeah, I've given consideration to the Sage speys as well. Both the Z-axis and VT2 sound appealing and I'm a big fan of Sage rods in general. The lightest VT2 is a 13' 7wt, though, which seems like it might be a bit of overkill for the Bow. Though if I line it with a WC 8/9/10 instead of a 7/8/9 that might make it more manageable. Bah, who am I kidding? I know I'll end up owning at least a couple of spey rods by the time July rolls around...

The VT2 13' 7wt is an excellent all purpose rod for the Bow and has received great reviews. Every caster is individual and what is a wooden stick in the hands of one angler, is a magic wand in the hands of another.

Great idea for everyone to send enquiries to all of the major manufacturer's, requesting that they bring the toys for us to play with. I will send emails to many of the pro staff'ers to express these same interests.

Guest bigbadbrent
It is not necessary to have a live line to test cast a two handed rod. A simple frontal anchor on the water will provide sufficient line stick to load the rod and form a D loop. I think we will see a few Beulah rods and the new Dec Hogan Echo rods as well, at least I'm hoping. I'm making a few inquiry's to find out who is coming and to encourage them to bring lots of rods, lines, reels ect.

Long as there is the sharkskin on a 5 weight...i might hog it all day..if im not working :|

Hi Headscan,

A stiffer rod will not cast further or give you tighter loops, look at what the best speycasters use in competition and design, they are all full flexing rods, rods that flex to the butt but with a lot of backbone.

In the UK the speycasting market is at least 50 times the market of Canada and the US, all that really means is the guys here have access to lots of different rods and some of the companies that have been making them for at least 50yrs sometimes i have to say i worry about companies jumping on the Spey bandwagon in the last few years.

In the last year i have cast around 20 rods ( perks of the job), some i like, some i don't, thats why my advice would be to meet up with some of the guys, and try a few rods, see what suits you.

I will be at the Calgary show with some rods from differet UK companies, so drop by if you get the chance, even for a chat.

Thanks Gordon

It is not necessary to have a live line to test cast a two handed rod. A simple frontal anchor on the water will provide sufficient line stick to load the rod to form a D loop. I think we will see a few Beulah rods and the new Dec Hogan Echo rods as well, at least I'm hoping. I'm making a few inquiry's to find out who is coming and to encourage them to bring lots of rods, lines, reels ect.

Beulah will definitely be there, as well as Snowbee, Courtney will be bringing a truck full of gear from the Island. I'm sure I'll be working the booth.

Colin

Hi Headscan,

A stiffer rod will not cast further or give you tighter loops, look at what the best speycasters use in competition and design, they are all full flexing rods, rods that flex to the butt but with a lot of backbone.

In the UK the speycasting market is at least 50 times the market of Canada and the US, all that really means is the guys here have access to lots of different rods and some of the companies that have been making them for at least 50yrs sometimes i have to say i worry about companies jumping on the Spey bandwagon in the last few years.

In the last year i have cast around 20 rods ( perks of the job), some i like, some i don't, thats why my advice would be to meet up with some of the guys, and try a few rods, see what suits you.

I will be at the Calgary show with some rods from differet UK companies, so drop by if you get the chance, even for a chat.

Thanks Gordon

Thanks for the information Gordon. I'll probably be at the show at least one day if not both so I'll make sure to drop by. Between the snow that fell last night and the cooler weather, I'm not in a rush to get outfitted with some spey gear...

hey dude had this rod for under a month and for trout fishing i think shes perfect for me..its a long soft rod..has good hooksetting/mending capabilaties at far range..have bin nymphing with it tossing indis, triple rigs, tons of weight no prob...ive bin using a regular delta spey 6/7. tosses streamer great too...tons of action when fightin fish even in the mid teens...shes my troutspey rod fosheeze!

Beulah will definitely be there, as well as Snowbee, Courtney will be bringing a truck full of gear from the Island. I'm sure I'll be working the booth.

Colin

I took a look at the Beulah and Snowbee sites and they've definitely piqued my interest. The Beulah you built and posted pictures of on speypages looks fantastic. For those who haven't seen it:

http://speypages.com/speyclave/showthread.php?t=27367

I took a look at the Beulah and Snowbee sites and they've definitely piqued my interest. The Beulah you built and posted pictures of on speypages looks fantastic. For those who haven't seen it:

http://speypages.com/speyclave/showthread.php?t=27367

I'm hoping to have at least 2 more custom built Beulah's by then, a 10'6 4/5 switch and a 11'6 6/7 two hander.

Colin

Spoke to courtney a couple of days ago, and i'm sure he is taking loads of spey stuff, so there should be loads of spey rods to try out , we can have a wee speyclave, :D just need some one to look after my stuff and i'm off to the casting pond for a couple of hours or so.

Gordon.

Gordon,

Are bringing the reels in that you have been working on?

My first post on this site and I must say it is good to be here ... we are getting bombarded with RAIN...200 mm of the stuff after a foot of snow...the Rivers are seriously blown out...

Over the past 4 or 5 years we have very effectively used the casting pond(S) to demonstrate the spey casts at the shows. But Gordon did hit a nail on the head with several of his welcomed comments...first we perhaps could have a small Spey Gathering ,,,should the Bow be co-operative. Second,I will see what we can do at the building...itself..

Guess who??

I'm looking for a bit of feedback about this rod. I'm looking around for my first spey rod that will be used primarily on the Bow. According to the Loomis site this is a medium action rod. My understanding is that a stiffer rod will produce tighter loops and greater distance but is far less forgiving.

Any opinions? Should I be looking at an entirely different rod? There are a few others I've looked at, but most of them aren't available locally...

The Metolius Trout Two Hander is a nice little rod...It would give you many years of service on the Water ways of Southern Alberta,BC,Idaho and Montana...as far as FASTER is TIGHTER and FURTHER is really not the case...all you have to do is understand that Alexander Grant (with a Greenheart rod)

cast further than any modern day caster with modern day lines and rods simply by understanding what and how it had to happen. The fact that fast is good is a very complex statement. Fast lighter rods like Hardy's Angel are simply unbelievably comfortabe in hand,matched with the correct line casts 120' without without a whimper....but ask it to work overtime and it shutters. There are many light weight rods being manufactured that handle advanced casters well and are not too expensive. These same rods in the hands of New Casters are equally effective as learning and fishing tools...and that is what it is all about..Buy the Porsche after you have learned how to handle the Mustang. The greatest and most complex issue is line combinations..as you will see in Calgary at the Fly Fishing Show.....

The Metolius Trout Two Hander is a nice little rod...It would give you many years of service on the Water ways of Southern Alberta,BC,Idaho and Montana...as far as FASTER is TIGHTER and FURTHER is really not the case...all you have to do is understand that Alexander Grant (with a Greenheart rod)

cast further than any modern day caster with modern day lines and rods simply by understanding what and how it had to happen. The fact that fast is good is a very complex statement. Fast lighter rods like Hardy's Angel are simply unbelievably comfortabe in hand,matched with the correct line casts 120' without without a whimper....but ask it to work overtime and it shutters. There are many light weight rods being manufactured that handle advanced casters well and are not too expensive. These same rods in the hands of New Casters are equally effective as learning and fishing tools...and that is what it is all about..Buy the Porsche after you have learned how to handle the Mustang. The greatest and most complex issue is line combinations..as you will see in Calgary at the Fly Fishing Show.....

Since I first posted this I started doing some reading at speypages. So just when I thought I had my rod choices narrowed down, I start learning about these other great sticks like Beulah and Snowbee. At this point I'm waiting until the show before plunking down any cash. Less than two months to go anyways...