Fly Fusion Forums

Inglewood Bird Sanctuary

The residents of Inglewood and the bird lovers among us certainly cherish the Inglewood Bird Sanctuary and what it stands for. We as anglers have the same opinion of the Bow River. That is anyone who does not have the same opinion as ourselves is bordering on a criminal!

With all the river we have to fish why not avoid the bird sanctuary and leave it to the bird, bees and mammals

I don't think altering behavior to accommodate intolerance is the best plan. It seems to me it only reinforces that intolerance, or at the very least condones it. All user groups need to learn that everyone has a right to our river.

Bron, I don't know. I have accessed down from there before and found not great water and poor fishing. Never bothered based on that experience.

Fun story: I once had someone ask me at the Southland dog park if I was fishing for dogs.

Can't we all just get along?

I worked at the Inglewood Bird Sanctuary as a university student in one of the children's programs they used to run there. Obviously, I asked about fishing one day and one of the head operators mentioned that there is nothing they can do to prevent people from fishing the river there, but that they will not allow people to park there and access it through the sanctuary.

IMO, this is for good reason. Once you open it up to fishermen, then why not other users? Why not bring your dog for a walk there, or launch your dingy. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that they would prefer to keep the place quiet and allow for proper wildlife viewing. It isn't just a bunch of birds, there are some pretty cool creatures all over the place if you know where to look. These people are not the enemy - so lets cut them a break. Fishing around there is poor anyway, as the above post mentions.

I would think you have a lot of birds nesting in the area in the spring so probably best to leave the channels alone through there. Pre-2005 flood I use to do a lot of early morning floats from Blackfoot down always had great fishing along through the golf course side with lots of buckets that were perfect for streamering out big Browns and Bows along with the occasional pike.....there was never an urge to fish the west bank at that point in time and a much smaller yellow dingy hatch to deal with too!

Tgo bringing your dog for a walk there is banned and only certain trails are opened for walking. Any side channels within the sanctuary are closed for fishing.

My argument is that if people are walking around a sanctuary "viewing" birds, how is my presence on the side of the river any more intrusive? Especially if accessing it from the trail that comes up from under the bridge at Ogden.

Anyways, I was just curious about new water. Fishing isn't/can't be any worse than above the weir.

Cheers

B

Sorry Bron, I think you misunderstood my point. I meant that if you start allowing fishermen, then why not allow people to walk their dog there or launch a dingy. Then all of the sudden its overrun. They don't even like people wandering off the pathway.

Ok I have an example

There is (was?) a shallow area with a gravel bar along the Bow River side that the ducks would use, along with geese. I watched a coyote attempt to take some from that gravel bar in 2010. If a fisherman walks along they would be gone, and then the people who use that area for photography, sketching and so forth would be hooped. We always took the kids very quietly, taught them not to pick plants, stick to the path etc. I was actually very surprised and a little disappointed when I first arrived and discover how restricted it was. Over time though I began to understand why.

I totally understand your desire to find new water, right there with you on that one. I'm kinda frustrated with my situation in Cochrane. I live along the edge of the Toki wildlife sanctuary. They don't want anybody even walking through or fishing the creek. I can walk there in less than 5 minutes but its pretty much only good for the view