Fly Fusion Forums

Scientific Anglers-8W Ust Float,hover,sink

My cousins wife bought him a TFO 8W rod back a few years ago. Being that he is a rookie and is just now decided to use it; I am trying to help him with a line that he can just hook up a bugger and fish without too much dicking around. He is not "hardcore" like most of us. Knows little about leaders, indicators etc.

I saw on-line the above offered by SA. through BassPro. But, it ships directly from SA and could be up to a 6 week wait for delivery.

I have been unable to find it in town.

Being he is a rookie, no indicators, just rig up and fish is what I and he would prefer.

It makes no sense in buying a floating line, then adding a sink tip as 8w in my opinion isn't the best option.

The advantage of the above line is the tri-color float, hover, sink which I think would be best for the rod and him.

Either way he is going to have to spend more by buying a 4-5 weight for dries; we know that.

Any options would be appreciated.

FHD

Most shops in city have some discounted fly lines. I spend my money at fish tales and WSS, both shops seem to have fair selection of discounted/discontinued fly lines. Fish tales can set you up with what actually works, while at WSS you need to know what you need.

There are other fly shops in Calgary, Google will help you.

UST is a scandi line for spey casting, would be a really bad idea to go that route

Where is he planning on fishing. I'd still say that a floating line is going to do 90% of most anglers fishing, unless they're strictly fishing lakes

UST is a scandi line for spey casting, would be a really bad idea to go that route

Where is he planning on fishing. I'd still say that a floating line is going to do 90% of most anglers fishing, unless they're strictly fishing lakes

Ya, I realized that after I did more digging. With a 8w, it makes it tough to get him geared so he can just hook up and fish.

Most fishing would be on streams, I just wanted the learning curve to be less.

Thanks for the responses.

FHD

GPX are on the heavy side compared to say 444, so it will load the rod a bit easier. Probably not a difference he would notice.

I would consider over lining the rod for him. A WF9F might help progress his casting skill more quickly. If costs are a consideration, I think most makes have a beginner oriented shorter taper lines that are very economical.